My Tort!!! OMG

DrHarryLopez

One Happy Reefer
Got into the office at about 9 am. As always I greet the reef and fish.

Fed the reef n fish around 10 am

Left to do some rounds at the hospital at 1pm

Back to the office at 3pm, to see this;
torttank.jpg

About 40% of the colony has lost its tissue.

Just below the purple stylo you can also see a sunset monti stressed and browning out;
torttank2.jpg

Between patients I tested;
Ca 420
Alk 7.7
Mg 1330
Phos 0.02
Sp Gr 1.026
Temp 78.9
Bio pellets reactor; functioning
Skimmers; functioning
Dosing has been inconsistent over the last two week (another story), this is the most likely culprit :(

Made fresh Ca, ALk, and Mg. Dosed appropiately.

The last patient left its 6pm. It appears that whatever caused this rapid tissue dehisence has slowed down. I called OPG and issued a reef emergency. OPG's hawk eyes verified, No redbugs, No AEFW, NO bugs of any type.

It didn't fit coming out of my hood. we had to lift the hood up (opening only 6") The colony is about 9"
tortinhand.jpg

Saved frags
tortfrags.jpg

Dead coral
tortdeath.jpg

tortfraggin.jpg

I threw all the frags into the frag tank. Now sit and wait to see how many of the frags survived.

Thank you OzoneParkGuy for coming over and helping me over the next three hours.

Last edited:
SPS is sensitive to peaks and drops in chemistry. Also I need more flow as corals are growing larger and blocking flow. The MP 60 might be good at this time hmmmm

so sorry to hear....it happened to my tort a few times, always bounced back...check the alk before,if you have a record and after, because mine are very sensitive to any alk swing....usually starts at the tips and works in.

(Just catching up) Good thing you caught it when you did at the rate it was going. How are the frags doing?

Back