Need advice on wifi plug for dosers

Klems

I have an old Reef keeper that I still run my system on, but it seems as though the timers function is not working properly anymore. The outlets turn on and off...but the auto function does not work.

Is there a wifi plug option out there that will allow me to program it to turn on and off for 3-4 minutes multiple times a day for my Alk and Cal dosing needs.

Or should I just get a Jebao doser and ditch the BRS 1.1ml dosers?

(I don't want to have to go out and spend over $800 for an Apex at this time)

Hmm I can’t help with reef keeper issue. But for a cheaper option, perhaps look into ReefPi for a controller? I don’t have the slightest clue with it but it seems to be the go to for DIY controller

But can you use them to turn on and off dosers multiple times a day for a few minutes each time?
Yes, I have a Kasa power bar (3 outlets) running for my wife's hydroponic garden. It controls two lights and a fan that comes on and off several times a day. I set it up a few years ago and the only negative I remember is you have to put each on/off cycle in manually, so for instance my fan that runs for 5 minutes 2 x times an hour required 48 line entries in the program which was tedious. The upside is it hasn't missed a beat in 3 yrs. For all I know the newer ones may be more intuitive.

Each plug is going to have it's own schedule. I can't remember the limit on scheduled events, but you can't do it every hour. You can however increase in 1 min increments.

Screenshot_20240406-073444.png

You are right. Upon closer inspection I was not full 24 hours. 31 entries is the max per outlet.

Yeah, I tried doing it every hour and remember it wouldn't allow it.

@Klems Just remember an entry for on and off counts as two scheduled events.

I like the Kasa system quite a bit. I use the switches for my Front Porch Lights and some of the house lights I want to be able to voice command on/off. I use it for the Barn and Front porch fans, electric fence, etc....

Reefing wise, I also have it set up on my skimmer so that it automatically turns on at 0400 when I turn it off for dosing food or bacteria at night. Comes in handy when I'm behind the basement tanks ready to pull the collection cup too and forget to turn off the skimmer. I can just tell Alexa to turn it off for me.

Back