my yelow tang has ich

ironwalrus69

My yellow tang appears to have ich. I just noticed 2-3 little white bump like things on the right side of his body... It kind of looks like sand but it has been on him for about an hour. I looked at pictures of fish with ich and it looks like it to me. I have crustaceans like peppermint shrimp and 5 other fish. I have a qt tank set up but i dont know if its worth fetching him out and straining my whole tank if it could be treated in my main tank. I need some advice on what to do and if neccesary how to transfer the tang to the qt...
Thanks

Emery

MeadowSky

I am a super newbie too but I have read that you don't want to treat in your tank with inverts. Also if you treat with copper in your tank and get inverts later it could cause problems. I would assume that you would transfer the tang in the same way as you would acclimate.

bdif

Many ways to approach this. Meadow is correct in that treating the display is a no-no. Don't get caught up in anything that claims to be reef/invert safe. I could wright 5 pages on your options, but your best bet is to go to the "Fish Disease" forum and start reading the various stickys there. Steven Pro has a good article that covers 17 or so different options. Suffice it to say that if you take the propper steps, you'll be fine.

kau_cinta_ku

2 proven methods of cureing ich is either hypo or copper. each treatments will have to be done in a seperate hospital tank and all fish need to be treated for it at the same time, while leaving the main tank fishless for 6-8 weeks.

ironwalrus69

thanks to all for your advice regarding ich! i will check out the disease forum now as suggested....hopefully i can get this under control...thanks for your help!!! emery