mysis as food

timrandlerv10

how many people feed mysis to clowns and/or nems?

where do you get it?
what else do you feed?

do you guy load first?

do you keep any, or just buy new foodsource each week?

thanks,

tim

oh...where do you get yours?

most people feed there nem's silverside. i feed shrimp as well.

as for fish, they get cyclopeez, ora glo, mysis, and brine. most stuff with tiny bits of chopped garlic.

I feed mysis to my clowns, not to my anemones. You get it at the frozen food section of your fish shop.

I feed frozen mysis...not sure how readily available live mysis is, but it would be a pretty good food source (especially gut loaded, but I would think that as a marine invertebrate they'd be plenty nutritious as is.)

You can buy live mysis from suppliers in Florida (I think Reed Mariculture sells them), but it's really expensive and they can't really be cultured at home. Frozen mysis is a good staple. I feed it a couple of times a week, along with New Life Spectrum and Formula One pellets, cyclopeez and, whenever I feed my anemones, chopped squid, shrimp, or krill.

I feed my anemone frozen mysis regularly. I also added some live ones to my refugium, and they are reproducing. However they don't seem to reproduce as readily as pods....

I feed my clowns a mix of frozen mysis and refrigerated pods

ap.jpg

These are extremely high in marine fatty acids, the clowns go absolutely nuts for them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12917809#post12917809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rssjsb
You can buy live mysis from suppliers in Florida (I think Reed Mariculture sells them), but it's really expensive and they can't really be cultured at home. Frozen mysis is a good staple. I feed it a couple of times a week, along with New Life Spectrum and Formula One pellets, cyclopeez and, whenever I feed my anemones, chopped squid, shrimp, or krill.
How can they not be cultured at home? My 46 is full of them and the lfs i help at has a systems that is busting at the seems with them.... we have customer come in just to get them.

Maybe it's just the species that Reed sells, but they're supposed to be highly cannibalistic and difficult to breed in home systems. There was a thread a while back about someone setting up a system at home to breed them for his seahorses, but it involved a number of different tanks in a connected system and became such a pain in the neck that he eventually gave up.

I think the kind we buy frozen are different from the little guys that grow in our refugiums (I've got a lot of those, too.)

Big Jay - My fish won't go near Arctipods for some reason. I feed them to some of my bigger gorgonians, but my clowns and other fish are unimpressed.

I feed mysis to fish, and my clowns do feed some to nem, but nems get a silver a week.
IME feeding live has spoiled fish to where that becomes all they want to eat, and can be a pain.

Back