Naso Tang Polka Dots

Submerged

Hi all,

Got a Naso tang from liveaquaria.com today. Acclimated it in my QT tank, where it's chillin out right now. The tang has some large white polka dots (too big to be ich). They're not raised (i.e., bumps)...they just look like natural markings on the tang. Some pics below. Is this common to see in a Naso? Stress reaction? Anything to be concerned about?

naso3.jpg

naso2.jpg

naso1.jpg

It is a color change brought on by stress etc.It may also show the dots when the lights are out.Sometimes the sides of the fish can be almost pure black with bright white dots.You might want to leave the lights off or at least cover them to help it feel more relaxed.Yours could be a young male,it looks as if the tail tips are just starting to develope.Good looking fish.HTH

I would say those are stress spots. Should go away after the fish gets use to the new tank and all. You may even see the fish turn very dark in color, another sign they are not happy. Bob

Just had to chime in, i to also have a naso tang and i am wondering what do you guys mean when you say the change as far as their back fin is concerned, mine looks like it is just starting to spread out like the actual fin is going to get bigger, what causes this and what will it look like? Thank you.

Bluecarpet,the male's tail can develope what look likes like a streamer(similar to what a moorish idol has on it's dorsal fin) on the upper & lower limits of the tail fin.Looks very cool.Is that an England flag in your avatar?If so ,should be a good game against Trini tomorrow-if not disregard.HTH

Yes it is an England flag and should be an allsome game, do you happen to have a picture of one, sounds very cool.

I don't have a pic,but check out Liveaquaria.com or maybe Marinedepot.com I'm pretty sure one of them shows a mature male.I'm not sure how long it takes to develope,but I've only seen the big fish (about 12")with the fully developed tail.HTH

Back