Naughty Rabbitfish

Conesus_Kid

Premium Member
So I came back after Holiday Recess, and short of the acrylic needing a few swipes with the magfloat, things look pretty good. I'm always amazed at how much things seem to grow when I'm not sticking my paws in there every day!

Later in the day, during a planning set, I heard a 'pop' come from the aquarium and saw all of the fish spook and the the rabbitfish did his funky color change. I didn't notice anything amiss, so went back to my work.

After school, I went up close to give the aquarium a good look, when I noticed shards of glass INSIDE the tank. My rabbitfish, who enjoys squirting water out of the top of the aquarium, must have gotten quite a bit of water on the glass cover of one of the DE metal halide fixtures. The 'pop' that I heard was the cover shattering. And guess what: The glass must have been tempered since it broke into a billion small pieces!

I got some of it out, and am planning on siphoning out as much of the glass as I can tomorrow.

I had a piece of double strength plate glass cut on my way home today as a replacement. Hopefully, we won't see a repeat performance! :mad::mad::mad:

It's always something, isn't it? :sad2:

Sucks, my foxface for some reason does the same thing. Wondering if it has anything to do with the fish needed more O2?

I did some reading up on this a while back, and it's not O2 related; rather it's just a habit that some fish have. Triggers and puffers are also known to do this.

I used to think it was cute. :(

What a PITA this is.

Last night, I pulled the pendant and set it on top of the canopy. I thought I had unplugged the correct pendant from the ballast, but when the lights came on this morning, the kids in homeroom started freaking out. The top of the canopy started smoking! (It's actually pretty funny in hindsight, but the room stunk for about an hour!)

No local suppliers can get me a piece of UV protected tempered glass in the correct size in less than two weeks. I had to get a replacement (It's a Reef Optix 3 pendant) glass online. $21 after shipping.

I figure I'll just slide the dual 150 watt fixture back and forth each day from the center to the right hand side until the glass arrives. Hopefully it won't take too long!

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Maybe you should replace it with double paned sound proof glass.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhPPOXnyKo

aceventura.jpg

I'm a teacher...not a pool man!!!!

Ok, stupid question:

I wasn't aware we were trying to actively filter out UV (doesn't natural sunlight have a UV component, or does it get filtered by the time the light reaches the depths our animals live in?).

I have glass under my halides, but what about the people who don't... Do SE bulbs have "built-in" UV filters?

it's the year of the Rabbitfish :celeb2:

if you catch my drift ;)

I hear ya, Gary. I'm just too sentimental with this guy. (He's one of the first marine fish I purchased when getting into the hobby.)

I wonder how he'd do as a sump inhabitant? I've got a bunch of live rock in there and there's a plethora of algae, etc. for him to munch on.

Any opinions? Would that 100 gallon Rubbermaid be large enough for him?

Hey Scott, I had something similar happen, but it was a powerhead malfunction. You have to order the piece from the manufacturer. Something about having to cut the glass before it's tempered, and there not being a tempering iron small enough for a piece that small... At any rate for a single fixture it ended up costing $8 I think so not a big deal. But yeah you HAVE to get tempered. I tried using normal plate glass, and it shattered within a few hours from the high temps.

Back