I have the ability to do the following tests at this time (all tests are API)-
High range PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium
Carbonate Hardness
Phosphate

Since I haven't had a reef for very long I am currently testing all of these things about every 5 days. I know that I don't need to test this often, especially for a few of these tests but would like some opinions on how often. It is a biocube-29 gallon, Clown, dottyback, anemone, mushrooms, zoas, and 4-5 other odds and ends (don't know all of the names).

I feel all of these tests are easy to read with the exception of PH. The colors I get don't seem to match the card very well, can anyone suggest another test or even electronic tester for PH.

Anything else I should be testing for?

1) how often?
2) Other PH testing method?
3) Other tests?

Thanks,

Brian

I test alkalinity, pH, temperature, and salinity every few weeks. Since I used balanced calcium-alkalinity supplements, I only need to test calcium every few months. The same is true for magnesium.

I test weekly a couple hours after I do my water change. I test pH, nitrate, alkalinity, Mg and Ca. Once a tank has cycled I don't test ammonia or nitrite unless I have had a problem with my tank. The color that you see may be influenced by the lights you read the test under so follow the directions to get the most accurate results.

I test pH and SG daily. A pH meter is worth every penny in the amount of time and test reagents it saves!

Ca, ALK, NH3, NO2, NO3, Mg, PO4 I test weekly or biweekly depending on water changes or if I've added or plan to add something new to the tank.

When I first started my reef tank, I tested daily... was way to much.. .but I agree.. keep a log and test weekly... then once it is estabilished.. do it every two weeks.

Electronic PH tester? Anyone used the economy version from Milwaukee? only $25 is it worth it?

I haven't used it, but a pH meter is handy to have, in my experience. Some of the inexpensive Hanna units are fine. The Milwaukee might be okay; I just don't know about it.

What do you consider inexpensive? The cheapest Hanna I have seen in $77. Almost makes me want to pay $145 for one that reads Temp/PH/and TDS.

I was thinking of some of the pHep models, and they are more expensive than I remembered. There might be some cheaper units, but I would spring for the pHep 5. I have an Oakton which is a bit more expensive than that. The Milwaukee might be good enough, though.

I used to test my weekly, maybe 4 hrs about I have changed the water.

However, my tank is been up for about 5 months now. I test every 2-3 weeks or when I think something is wrong.

I used to test my weekly, maybe 4 hrs about I have changed the water.

However, my tank is been up for about 5 months now. I test every 2-3 weeks or when I think something is wrong.

I test weekly, not set schedule though, just as time permits. I always test the tank water and makeup water when doing water changes to make sure their parameters are as close as I can get them. I normally have to dose the tank while the new water cures, to bring it up to match.

Haven't tried that one. I've got a PinPoint and love it! It's pricey and I had second thoughts about dropping all that money, but I like being able to leave the probe in the sump and glance at the meter whenever I need to, just like the temperature.

Back