I have the ability to do the following tests at this time (all tests are API)-
High range PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium
Carbonate Hardness
Phosphate

Since I haven't had a reef for very long I am currently testing all of these things about every 5 days. I know that I don't need to test this often, especially for a few of these tests but would like some opinions on how often. It is a biocube-29 gallon, Clown, dottyback, anemone, mushrooms, zoas, and 4-5 other odds and ends (don't know all of the names).

I feel all of these tests are easy to read with the exception of PH. The colors I get don't seem to match the card very well, can anyone suggest another test or even electronic tester for PH.

Anything else I should be testing for?

1) how often?
2) Other PH testing method?
3) Other tests?

Thanks,

Brian

bertoni

Premium Member
I test alkalinity, pH, temperature, and salinity every few weeks. Since I used balanced calcium-alkalinity supplements, I only need to test calcium every few months. The same is true for magnesium.

CarmieJo

I test weekly a couple hours after I do my water change. I test pH, nitrate, alkalinity, Mg and Ca. Once a tank has cycled I don't test ammonia or nitrite unless I have had a problem with my tank. The color that you see may be influenced by the lights you read the test under so follow the directions to get the most accurate results.

Zoophile

Premium Member
I test pH and SG daily. A pH meter is worth every penny in the amount of time and test reagents it saves!

Ca, ALK, NH3, NO2, NO3, Mg, PO4 I test weekly or biweekly depending on water changes or if I've added or plan to add something new to the tank.

jbaty

When I first started my reef tank, I tested daily... was way to much.. .but I agree.. keep a log and test weekly... then once it is estabilished.. do it every two weeks.

camlov2

Premium Member
Electronic PH tester? Anyone used the economy version from Milwaukee? only $25 is it worth it?

bertoni

Premium Member
I haven't used it, but a pH meter is handy to have, in my experience. Some of the inexpensive Hanna units are fine. The Milwaukee might be okay; I just don't know about it.

camlov2

Premium Member
What do you consider inexpensive? The cheapest Hanna I have seen in $77. Almost makes me want to pay $145 for one that reads Temp/PH/and TDS.

bertoni

Premium Member
I was thinking of some of the pHep models, and they are more expensive than I remembered. There might be some cheaper units, but I would spring for the pHep 5. I have an Oakton which is a bit more expensive than that. The Milwaukee might be good enough, though.

realest

I used to test my weekly, maybe 4 hrs about I have changed the water.

However, my tank is been up for about 5 months now. I test every 2-3 weeks or when I think something is wrong.

realest

I used to test my weekly, maybe 4 hrs about I have changed the water.

However, my tank is been up for about 5 months now. I test every 2-3 weeks or when I think something is wrong.

tcollins

I test weekly, not set schedule though, just as time permits. I always test the tank water and makeup water when doing water changes to make sure their parameters are as close as I can get them. I normally have to dose the tank while the new water cures, to bring it up to match.

Zoophile

Premium Member
Haven't tried that one. I've got a PinPoint and love it! It's pricey and I had second thoughts about dropping all that money, but I like being able to leave the probe in the sump and glance at the meter whenever I need to, just like the temperature.