Need Ca Reactor input

JurisHP

Dear All:

After much research, I've decided to purchase a Ca Rx for my 190G reef tank. I have mostly softies, 13 or so fish (mostly Tangs), anenomes, etc. all controlled by a Neptune Apex.

So far, I have decided to get the following (I am not limiting my budget):

Neptune pm1
Neptune pH probe

For the Co2 tank, I will go to a local beverage supplier, and get one from there, as I understand the C02 they use is a better (food grade) than I'd get elsewhere, and I don't have to be concerned with safety regulations, etc. and get the tank tested every year. I'll just swap tanks when I need a refill. In regards to the tank, does it matter if I get a 5 pound versus 10? I'd rather save the space and get the 5 if it doesn't matter.

Aquarium plants Carbon Doser Electronic Co2 Regulator w/8 digit LCD Counter (non-solenoid FYI, but they say that it is the best out there and that non-solenoid is referred due to longevity).

10' C02 resistant tubing (is this feet of tubing enough if the tank is going to be in the floor below the tank (basement)?

Aquarium plants check valve (medical grade 0.17 psi CRP).

I AM NOT SURE WHAT REACTOR I SHOULD GET. I do want a dual chamber, and have considered:

Super Reef Octopus Super CR 3000D
Marine Technical Concepts ProCal
Vertex (Bulk Reef Supply) RX-C 6D
My Reef Creations CR-2 Dual Reef Creation
Schuran Jetstream 1

I am open to ANY recommendations that are not listed above.

Also, is it agreed that I need the first few items listed?

ANY input is greatly appreciated!

You can get the co2 from a grow store or a tap store easy and cheaply. I get mine from a beer and tap store, I leased the bottle from them for $89. Have paid for gas only by the lb for 7 or so years. They fill the bottle each time unless it gets rusty, then they swap it out. I can get my $89 back if I choose to. Seems like a great way to go if you don't already have a bottle. 5lb is fine.

You don't need the digital counter. The regulator is great. It could be better if used with a dual stage regulator body but that would add another $200+

I would go with the MTC, the MRC (what I have), or a CR422 Precision Marine w/ a EF1 2nd chamber. You may find the PM to be the easiest dual chamber since they are not on the same base plate. Dual chambers on a single base isn't ideal because they are heavy when full.

Consider running a continuous duty peristaltic pump.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368618

I get my CO2 from a welding supply store. Same stuff as from a food store, just a little cheaper. They will either fill your tank, or you just swap out and don't have to worry about testing and stuff. Never had an issue. Cheaper than a food/beverage supply too.
I have used an AquaC RX-1 reactor for years without issue. They may have stopped making them as I couldn't find them on a few of the online stores just now. Simple design, don't need a pump for adding water (as long as it is at or just below the water level from the source) and has built in bubble counter.
My $0.02 worth

Maybe I don't even need a Ca reactor?

Maybe I don't even need a Ca reactor?

Someone on another forum suggested that I don't need a Ca Reactor at all.

These are the specifics of my tank:

190G
ALL softies
5 Anenomes
3 Clams (1 6', the other 2 are 2-3" all Maximas)
Several Tangs
A lot of Ricordia, and Zoos
1 pretty big Acanastra
Frogspawn
Hammer Coral
Gorgonians
Mushrooms
3 Gonoporas
A few feather dusters
Galaxia
4 small Montipora frags
A few leathers
1 cup coral - about 5" across
Xenia
Kenya Tree

I thought I needed a Ca Reactor bc whenever I test the levels, they are always off. Maybe it's my testing kit (but I use two and they usually agree).

I started dosing a 2-part Ca/Alk system (Brightwell), but that's a pain in the butt.

Thoughts on if I need a Ca reactor at all?

Thanks!

Back