need help picking an external pump

eastonreef

i am looking for an external pump to pump about 1200 gph from my fuge to my tank (about 5 feet). i will be splitting the flow to 2 returns. i am looking for a very quiet pump.

i am also not looking to break the bank. i hope this is not unreasonable. any suggestions would greatly help.

It all depends on what other factors you want. For power on silent you cannot beat the Poseidon T4 pumps, it is DEAD quiet and over 1200 gph but it runs hot and will add heat to your tank. And because of the heat it will get calcium build up and require frequent cleanings.

As for other external pumps I'm not sure, I just bought a Pan world 100PX for the return on my new tank. I haven't fired it up yet but I know it won't be near as quiet as the T4, but it won't add much heat either.

Rich

thanks for all the input,,
i guess i want it all ,, quiet,, low heat,, power,, and oh yeah not too expensive lol :)

what about the sequence dart pump... for the power i am looking for it is about 220.00,,, i am not sure how quiet or cool they run.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7543610#post7543610 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eastonreef
thanks for all the input,,
i guess i want it all ,, quiet,, low heat,, power,, and oh yeah not too expensive lol :)

what about the sequence dart pump... for the power i am looking for it is about 220.00,,, i am not sure how quiet or cool they run.

Quiet,, low heat,, power,, I think that is a good pump to go with. I just ordered one and am about to order a compact super squirt.

the dart is going to be way...........to much for what he is looking for. at 4 feet head it's 2820gph. btw if this is for your sump or fuge and you only have a 90 gallon tank, you only need and want 3-5x turnover. anything more than that will actually make the sump/fuge less efficient and waste power. For circulation you should install additional powerheads or a closed loops system. a 1260 eheim would be the perfect pump for a 90 gallon sump at 5 feet head. extremely quiet, extremely energy efficient, and reliability that can be measured in decades if taken care of......

I was assuming this is for a closed loop. If for a sump it would be way..................too much.

For a closed loop it would give you 20-30x turnover. I am under the impression is that this would be awsome.

ya, for closed loop I myself have a sequence dart ;) and its perfect for that! but for a fuge like he mentioned, not a good idea hehe.

my fuge isn't small ,, it is an eco system 3012 -- 30 x 12 x 16

i really want to eliminate the ugly pumps in the tank. the tank is not drilled ,, i have an overflow with 2 u tubes that is rated for about 1200 gph.
i thought if i split the return water into 2 or 3 returns it would be good.

the whole point is you don't want that much flow through the fuge. more flow is going to make the fuge much more inefficient than what it can be and probably why you bought the thing. By the way, my sump/fuge is 30x16x16 and I have a eheim 1260 ;)

its not impossible at all.........its just not efficient, cost effective, or what you will really be happy with in the end........

You could go with one of the small Poseidon pumps, they are external and very quiet. They will add a little heat but you could offset this with a fan...

Back