Need help stocking FOWLR aquarium

Gamestyle

I've always been into larger fish and I have owned plenty of large American cichlids, catfish and arowanas, but the ones that seem the most appealing to me are large saltwater fish (especially triggers).

I'll be custom making a 7x2.5x2.5 foot aquarium (roughly 400gal) and I'm going to need help stocking the tank:fish1::fish1::fish1:

I've been thinking about this tank for over a year now, but still not certain what I want inside of it

These, however are some of my favourites

Porcupine puffer
Snowflake eel
Humu picasso triggerfish
Niger triggerfish
Achilles tang
Blue tang
Emperor angelfish
Passer angelfish
Harlequin tusk
Bird wrasse
Foxface lo
Purple tang

What do you guys think. Am I overstocked? Can I have more fish? Are these fish okay together? I'd like to know ASAP, thank you :twitch:

In that size tank I think you're gonna be good. I don't like to crowd my large aggressive fish so I would stick to that. I've never had an emperor and a passer in the same tank, maybe someone else will chime in for that one. Nice list.

In that size tank I think you're gonna be good. I don't like to crowd my large aggressive fish so I would stick to that. I've never had an emperor and a passer in the same tank, maybe someone else will chime in for that one. Nice list.

Thank you :)

However I was wondering about parrotfish (probably not in this tank, but in the future when I get addicted lol)

The biggest thing is to do the research of the best progression to add the fish. The tusk, bird, puffer, foxface, and eel won't be a problem. If you can add the triggers together that would be good, I've had these two together with no problem. Your tangs are going to be good in that size tank, but the achilles is hard to acclimate, and purple tangs can get nasty; so maybe add them together or purple tang last of the tangs. Every tank I know with an emperor, he is the king; but the passer can be quite nasty also, they do call him the king angel. I think they'll be fine in that size tank, I would probably also try and add them together, last in the tank.
I would set up a 40 breeder as a qt, if I get my fish from the same source I will put 2 together. Separate with eggcrate if necessary.

Last edited:
The biggest thing is to do the research of the best progression to add the fish. The tusk, bird, puffer, foxface, and eel won't be a problem. If you can add the triggers together that would be good, I've had these two together with no problem. Your tangs are going to be good in that size tank, but the achilles is hard to acclimate, and purple tangs can get nasty; so maybe add them together or purple tang last of the tangs. Every tank I know with an emperor, he is the king; but the passer can be quite nasty also, they do call him the king angel. I think they'll be fine in that size tank, I would probably also try and add them together, last in the tank.
I would set up a 40 breeder as a qt, if I get my fish from the same source I will put 2 together. Separate with eggcrate if necessary.

That is very useful advice that I will take into consideration when setting up the tank :). However, I still have a few questions, will the two angels fight? Also what would be the estimated cost of setting up a 40g qt tank. Because I'm still a student I like to save my money as much as possible. Still no shortcuts, fish first all the time. Yes I have read that Achilles require expert level care, but I'm up to the challenge. Once again thank you for your advice :)

It's always a crap shoot, I've kept an emporer with triggers, a lion, and a puffer in a 180g and he was no problem. The emporer and passer are known to be 2 of the most aggressive angels, so maybe someone who has had them in the same tank will chime in. I would highly suggest setting up some sort of qt, when I stocked my 210 I set a 40 breeder for larger fish and to be able to do pairs comfortably. I got the tank when either petco or petsmart had their $1 gallon sale, I use a hob filter with media for biological filtration(an aquaclear), and a heater. I use rock for caves in my qt, most don't. Get everything on sale maybe $100. Read up on setting up qt.

It's always a crap shoot, I've kept an emporer with triggers, a lion, and a puffer in a 180g and he was no problem. The emporer and passer are known to be 2 of the most aggressive angels, so maybe someone who has had them in the same tank will chime in. I would highly suggest setting up some sort of qt, when I stocked my 210 I set a 40 breeder for larger fish and to be able to do pairs comfortably. I got the tank when either petco or petsmart had their $1 gallon sale, I use a hob filter with media for biological filtration(an aquaclear), and a heater. I use rock for caves in my qt, most don't. Get everything on sale maybe $100. Read up on setting up qt.

Yeah I could probably afford it, I've been having a hard time finding a good custom aquarium manufacturer in Toronto. Hopefully I'll be able to make one with out it costing me $5,000+:hmm2:

I've always been into larger fish and I have owned plenty of large American cichlids, catfish and arowanas, but the ones that seem the most appealing to me are large saltwater fish (especially triggers).

I'll be custom making a 7x2.5x2.5 foot aquarium (roughly 400gal) and I'm going to need help stocking the tank:fish1::fish1::fish1:

I've been thinking about this tank for over a year now, but still not certain what I want inside of it

These, however are some of my favourites

Porcupine puffer
Snowflake eel
Humu picasso triggerfish
Niger triggerfish
Achilles tang
Blue tang
Emperor angelfish
Passer angelfish
Harlequin tusk
Bird wrasse
Foxface lo
Purple tang

What do you guys think. Am I overstocked? Can I have more fish? Are these fish okay together? I'd like to know ASAP, thank you :twitch:

With those dimensions, you are looking at around 300 gallons, my 240 I am setting up now is 8x2x2. So I think your list may decrease. Might want to rethink some things.

With those dimensions, you are looking at around 300 gallons, my 240 I am setting up now is 8x2x2. So I think your list may decrease. Might want to rethink some things.

Oh god, I think your right :headwally: I'll have to change the demensions to 89x36x36 which equals 499 gallons. This changes everything, but thank you for informing me about my mistake :) if I can't find a company that custom makes these types of aquariums, I'll have to build one myself. I was so serious about this aquarium and like I said I've been thinking about this tank for a long time.
I'm ordering the skimmer soon, and I'm very excited as this will be the first part of the aquarium. One by one and I'll have it soon.

Back