Need Opinions on Hydros for 24gal Nano

MNtadpole

Greetings,

I need some advice for equipping a 24gal JBJ NanoCube with a Hydros controller. I am pretty set on jumping into the Hydros family of devices. My main goals for the controller are 1.) automate a prospective Avast Plank auto feeder, 2.) monitor skimmer cup levels and turn off, 3.) general monitoring of some basic parameters (temp and maybe more), 4.) Assist in maintenance by turning devices off without forgetting to plug them back in :oops:.

Now, the Hydros X4 seems like the most logical with more then enough sensor ports for added features. At the same time, the Hydros X3 is enticing due to a cheaper price point. I'm looking at getting a bundle that would pair a controlled power-strip with the controller, so the cost of the purchase is getting up there. I'm trying to determine if it would make more sense to get a bundle with the XP8 controlled power-strip vs the WiFi Powerstrip. It seems to me that the xp8, being a non-wifi dependent device, would be more robust.

I'm trying to set my aquarium up to be sustainable for the holidays while I'll be out of town for up to a week. Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated!

@n2585722 Please let me know what you're general thoughts are on Hydros. I've been following your Hex Build, quite impressive! I just want to make sure that I'm making a good judgement call with Hydros. Thanks in advance!

I've heard very good things about Hydros. I'm using an Apex as well but, I bought a used one for pretty cheap and have added a few components here and there. If I was going to do it again, I would have gone with Hydros.

I've heard very good things about Hydros. I'm using an Apex as well but, I bought a used one for pretty cheap and have added a few components here and there. If I was going to do it again, I would have gone with Hydros.
Yea it's just kinda scary looking at the buy-in costs of getting into Hydros, or any controller for that matter. It's looking like I'll have to spend near $700 to automate feedings (Plank) and to get some sensors (skimmer cut-off and leak detection) inputs under control.

LOL it's easy to complain, but I guess I don't really have a choice if I want to be able to be away from home for any period of time.

I would suggest you make a list of the functions you listed and then look up the sensors and probes needed. This will give you the number and type of ports you will have to have on your controller. Then decide on if you want extra ones.
I do not have an XP8. I have an XS, X3 and X4 in a collective. I use 4 wifi power strips. I have never had a problem with them. This collection of controllers gives me the ports I need. That is the big thing to pay attention to when purchasing Hydros, getting the type and number of ports you need. I like to add another small controller if I need more.
This configuration has been in use a long time and has been trouble free.
Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 12-31-34 Hydros.png

I like Hydros so much I put one on my FW tank.
Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 12-41-23 Hydros.png

Apex can do more if you can do programming a bit (sometime a lot). All you have to with Hydros is be able to think a little logically sometimes. Mostly you fill in pre-made forms for tasks that are listed. Some of these can be used for other things giving you more flexibility. For example my kalk stirring pump is programmed as a dosing pump so I can control how many times a day for how many minutes it runs with a schedule.

I would suggest you make a list of the functions you listed and then look up the sensors and probes needed. This will give you the number and type of ports you will have to have on your controller. Then decide on if you want extra ones.
I do not have an XP8. I have an XS, X3 and X4 in a collective. I use 4 wifi power strips. I have never had a problem with them. This collection of controllers gives me the ports I need. That is the big thing to pay attention to when purchasing Hydros, getting the type and number of ports you need. I like to add another small controller if I need more.
This configuration has been in use a long time and has been trouble free.
View attachment 32406308

I like Hydros so much I put one on my FW tank.
View attachment 32406309
Apex can do more if you can do programming a bit (sometime a lot). All you have to with Hydros is be able to think a little logically sometimes. Mostly you fill in pre-made forms for tasks that are listed. Some of these can be used for other things giving you more flexibility. For example my kalk stirring pump is programmed as a dosing pump so I can control how many times a day for how many minutes it runs with a schedule.

The main reason I'm looking at the XP8 is due its non-reliance to wifi from a nearby controller. I would be hooking up an Avast Plank feeder to an electrical outlet device. I would hate for a wifi issue be the reason food isn't delivered into the aquarium. Now, you obviously have more experience with the wifi power strips. Do you have any of those fears or any experiences with outages?

Personally, I could get away with doing a Hydros X3, but I would immediately run out of sensor ports when doing a temp sensor and the skimmer sensor. That would be kind of a let down. A X4 would be the bee's knees, and even more so with a paired XP8...maybe i could get by with the wifi strip instead.

I have heard horror stories. Supposedly what ever state a port is in will stay that way if the network goes. I have not had any issues with the wifi strips but our house has a whole house generator so my home network comes back up in 2 minutes. The XP8 would not have much utility to me. That may not be true for you.
I am running 2 temp probes, 2 pH probes and an ORP probe. 5 water level sensors, skimmer level sensor and 3 water solenoids for the RODI filter. So I chose a group of controllers that have those ports.
The other thing is you can just add to your collective if you want more later.
Also it will do things like control pumps and lights if you want that. I let the controllers that came with them do it and dont move them to Hydros.

I have heard horror stories. Supposedly what ever state a port is in will stay that way if the network goes. I have not had any issues with the wifi strips but our house has a whole house generator so my home network comes back up in 2 minutes. The XP8 would not have much utility to me. That may not be true for you.
I am running 2 temp probes, 2 pH probes and an ORP probe. 5 water level sensors, skimmer level sensor and 3 water solenoids for the RODI filter. So I chose a group of controllers that have those ports.
The other thing is you can just add to your collective if you want more later.
Also it will do things like control pumps and lights if you want that. I let the controllers that came with them do it and dont move them to Hydros.
Thats exactly what I'm worried about. If my power staggers and then results in an autofeeder dispensing a months worth of food in a few minutes. LOL talk about nuking an aquarium. That would be horrible.

Thats exactly what I'm worried about. If my power staggers and then results in an autofeeder dispensing a months worth of food in a few minutes. LOL talk about nuking an aquarium. That would be horrible.
The wifi feeder get a signal to dispense but you have to specify the number of rotations at each feeding so the most would be that number of rotations or one rotation and the outage would have to be at the time of the scheduled dispense. I have had one for a few years now and I have not had an issue with over feeding. Also you can limit the amount of food you add toit at a time. I have not added that much at any one time but mine only runs twice a day one rotation each time. The wifi power strips will stay in whatever mode they are in if wifi communication between them and the collective is lost so I do not use them for ATO, AWC or dosing. I use drive ports for most of that since all my pumps that do that are either 12v DC pumps or they are built into a controller already. The XP8 is a controller so it can be set to turn on of off if the control input becomes unavailable so it does not have the same issue as the wifi power strips. I have had no issues with my Hydros controllers. I usually do have backups in place just in case of an input failure so I will get an alert if anything like that were to happen.

Back