Need some help with an LED layout

JW65

I am going to be building an LED fixture for my 65 and I wanted some input on layout of the LEDs. I am getting 42, 3w crees, 28 blues and 14 whites. I was thinking about 3 or 4 rows with them spread evenly but I would really like some other thoughts maybe someone has a better idea. The tank is 36" long by 18" across. and 24" deep. Thanks for any help :)

I have pretty much decided that I am going to get (2) 8 x 10 heatsinks and do 4 rows of 5 on each and center them over the two openings. Selling off old equipment now to buy the parts.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to get (2) 8 x 10 heatsinks and do 4 rows of 5 on each and center them over the two openings. Selling off old equipment now to buy the parts.

Depending on the drivers you might want to go 4 rows of 6.
Multiples of 12 for most drivers is where you want to be.

I am going to be building an LED fixture for my 65 and I wanted some input on layout of the LEDs. I am getting 42, 3w crees, 28 blues and 14 whites. I was thinking about 3 or 4 rows with them spread evenly but I would really like some other thoughts maybe someone has a better idea. The tank is 36" long by 18" across. and 24" deep. Thanks for any help :)

four (4) rows of 18 will give you better coverage, keep you at multipules of 12 and if you use dimmable drivers you can keep the light from being overboard. It is better to have more lights and dim them down then not have enough lights at all.

I will be going with 2 23 inch heat sinks with 36 led on each for my standard 90 tank 50 50 split cw/rb what do you think enough to get even coverage and enough lite to keep sps?

Here's what I'm getting ready to do:

Here's what I'm getting ready to do:

I have a 100 gallon (60x19x20). I have a 'heatsink' that is 63"x12". I'm coming in 6" off each end for my first LED, the 2.75" apart, staggaring the center row (total of 3 rows). Something like this:

* * * * * * * * * _ * * * * * * * * *
_* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * _ * * * * * * * * *

I'm alternating RB/CW for the most part. I'm using 4 Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable drivers, the will run "8-14 LEDs", so I got 28 of each. Well, they will not run 14 Royal blues. I will end up with 2 strings of 13 RB and 2 strings of 14 CW. The empty spots on the top and bottom row, and the extra CW on the middle row is where I pulled one RB off each string.
From what I've read this is barely enough for my tank, but it's a start for now and when I see what color I want to add, I will add more later.
My tank also has a 12" or so wide center support. Water touches this with everything running so I'm assuming it won't affect the lights too much.
Oh and this is going to be about 12" off the water, with 65 degree optics.
Any input on all this? My LEDs should be here tomorrow, but I'm mounting them with nylon screws, that I'm still waiting for.

Back