Need to know a good camera for around 500

Wicked1z

I also posted this in the camera forum but since I dont know how active that forum is I thought I would post it here also. I am not a pro by any stretch of the means. I have a pretty decent point and click camera. Its an old nikon coolpix 4100. It takes decent pics. I want to step up into a whole new world though. I like the feel of an SLR but I think that will be way out my league. Since tax time is here I want to get something under 700. prefer around 500 since im looking at an open box special on a cam corder also. can someone help me out here? Would perfer auto focas with manual adjustment so I can start using it right away. I love macro shots and I want to start taking pics of my corals also. But I also want some crisp pics when I go to the drag strip and get stuck in bad seats. Since some of you post awesome coral pics I thought you might be able to help me out on this also.

Thanks for all your help.

JUNI0R

Have you looked at the nikon d40. you can get the body and a lens combo for around $500. I have a nikon and couldn't be happier with it. I have a higher end one, but I do know some people who have the d40 and they are happy with the camera.

Wicked1z

I was hoping to not make a full jump into DSLR yet. For my budget I would never be able to afford the lenses that I would wish to use. What do you guys think about the Sony 8.1 MP Cyber-shot DSC-H9/B? I have been reading good reviews on it.

Rue

Well, it's an SLR, but we just got a Pentax K100D Super...and I luv it! Still need to play with it a lot...but I'm so glad we didn't go with the Canon or Nikon models we looked at. I suppose what I like about this is that I can encorporate all my 'old school' skills with digital...

gvidon

You can get a great DSLR for your budget!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

The vendor I linked is generally accepted to be the best in the business and they have a great price of $469 on this model. The packaged lens is also respectable and will serve you well for a long time to come until you decide to save up and upgrade.

Just a quick note, you will notice that this model is a little lower mega pixel at 6.1 than some of the other offerings. I encourage you not to buy into the hype. 6.1, especially when taken through Nikon glass and a quality sensor will blow you away and look great on prints large and small.

Here is a review if you want to read further. Take a look at the sample pics as well and comparisons.

For your price range I think you'll find the D40 to be a home run as many others have.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

Rue

I've had the Fuji FinePix for years...different models...and my current point and shoot is a Fuji...

...but it's not comparing as well as I would have liked to the Pentax...