neglected tank

holmes123

Lets just say life has been rough- been moving my parents into a assisted living facility over the past few months.
I have a Fluval evo 13.5, and its been highly neglected. I have 2 clownfish, duncans, and some star polyps. In the first chamber I have a protein skimmer, and in the second I have intank basket, with floss, chemipure, and ceramic media.
The water is green, and there is algae everywhere. I am doing a water change tonight, and planning to run to a store and get some stuff to help fight this off.
Any suggestions will help.

Hello and welcome to the site, and sorry for your troubles! Slow and steady does it: water changes, obviously changing the appropriate filter media; you might try a poly-filter. Perhaps minimizing or turning off the lights for a few days. Good luck!

Welcome! I agree with @kfisc. I’d first start with a black out period of about 3 days. This should not harm your coral at all but should help decimate the green water and algae. Then I would work on probably around 25-50% water changes. I would also get some test kits to see where your water parameters are at

^ both of these are very good advice. Slow, steady recovery. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Back