Neptune APEX automated alkalinity monitoring

m0nkie

Looks like Neptune's got it! Jim Welsh's alkalinity monitor at MACNA

link to the Press Release

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98319424/Press_Releases/PR-NS-20162810-AMI.pdf

PRESS RELEASE
Neptune Systems acquires rights to automated alkalinity monitoring
invention in their quest for the holy grail of reef keeping
Morgan Hill, October 28, 2016
For a number of years, Neptune Systems sought to crack the code and provide their customers with a
device capable of regular, automated alkalinity monitoring for marine aquariums. With this
announcement, Neptune Systems believes that they are finally on the right track with an acquisition of the
patent pending technology and methods from inventor Jim Welsh of Angwin, CA.
Importance of Alkalinity
For marine aquarium enthusiasts, and specifically those who keep living reefs, the monitoring aquarium of
alkalinity is arguably the most important thing after salinity and temperature. Without proper and stable
alkalinity, corals and other invertebrates will neither thrive nor grow. Until now, measuring alkalinity required
breaking out a test kit, counting drops, watching colors change, and looking up numbers on a chart. This
level of inconvenience meant that for most hobbyists, frequency of testing was at best twice a week.
While this may not seem to be an obvious problem, in fact, alkalinity can fluctuate dramatically in a matter
of hours, not days. Improving that frequency of alkalinity testing to twice a day would change not just the
understanding of what the aquarium needs, but enable more refined adjustment of the aquarium, using
alkalinity supplementation methods such as auto-dosing or a calcium reactor. “By far the most asked
question we get from our customers is ‘when will my Apex be able to measure alkalinity’”, said Terence
Fugazzi, Neptune Systems Vice President of sales and marketing.
Enter Jim Welsh
As an avid reef keeper, Jim had for years contemplated how to do ongoing alkalinity measurement of his
aquarium. In early 2016, Jim set himself a goal -- he would build an alkalinity monitoring device and bring it
to MACNA (Marine Aquarium Conference of North America) that same year. Jim has an extensive
background in information technology and software development. As is often the case with inventors, Jim
found himself having to expand his base of knowledge along the way. He succeeded in building the
device, and, after much testing and refinement, he put it into the hands of Richard Ross (Senior Biologist,
Steinhart Aquarium and MASNA Aquarist of the Year 2014) to test on his 300-gallon reef aquarium. Rich
recently had this to say about his experience with Jim’s invention: “This thing is dreamy. In reef keeping, the
benefits of continually monitoring alkalinity are obvious and important, but honestly we don’t yet even
know how great this could be. It opens so many doors for so much automation and stability. I have run this
prototype for a couple months and I'm blown away at its ease of use, not to mention its accuracy and
precision. No you can't have it back!”
NEPTUNE SYSTEMS ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO AUTOMATED ALKALINITY MONITORING INVENTION IN THEIR QUEST FOR THE
HOLY GRAIL OF REEF KEEPING PAGE 2
MACNA
Jim finished his project on time and made the trek to MACNA. Through private meetings, public
demonstrations, and filmed interviews, he showed that the device provided reliable, accurate and precise
alkalinity measurements of marine aquarium water. News of the device was the buzz of the event.
Jim Welsh, Neptune Systems and the path forward
After MACNA, Jim and Neptune Systems came to an agreement; Neptune Systems obtained the exclusive
rights to develop, build, and market an automated alkalinity monitoring solution based on Jim’s invention.
Terms of the agreement will not be disclosed. Jim will also work closely with Neptune Systems as a private
consultant to assist in moving the project forward. At this point there is no official product being announced
related to this technology acquisition. When/if a related product is put onto the product roadmap,
Neptune Systems may provide additional insight at that time.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Founded in 1996 in San Jose, CA, Neptune Systems is the market-leader in aquarium monitoring and
automation. Its Apex AquaController® monitoring and control system, combined with the Apex Fusion
cloud-based interface, keeps tens of thousands of aquariums running safely worldwide. In recent years,
Neptune Systems has branched out into providing other key aquarium components such as dosing systems
and water moving pumps that tightly integrate into its Apex ecosystem.
For more information go to www.neptunesystems.com or email pr@neptunesystems.com.

This is awesome. Neptune should be able to make it reliable and bring it to the market much quicker.

Neptune announces new items 1 year before release right? next year is Neptune FMM.. (can't wait for that)

hope this comes out within 5...

just please don't make this New APEX only...

Neptune announces new items 1 year before release right? next year is Neptune FMM.. (can't wait for that)

hope this comes out within 5...

just please don't make this New APEX only...

Neptune has been promising the fmm for a long time. Kinda frustrating, but I guess it's better that they work the bugs out first.

I bet it will be years before we see a Neptune alk monitor.

that contraption seems too complicated. Way too many viles to hide under the tank.

I think APEX will probably come out with some type of dosing container, a wall mount kit.. and a sticker price of $1500+ :worried:

Neptune has been promising the fmm for a long time. Kinda frustrating, but I guess it's better that they work the bugs out first.

I bet it will be years before we see a Neptune alk monitor.

is there any other way to test fluid pressure right now? I could check the outflow of some manifold to make sure I'm in the right ball park

that contraption seems too complicated. Way too many viles to hide under the tank.
I'm sure Neptune will come up with some fancy cartridge contraption, that costs 50 bucks for 3 tests and looks marketable

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wow there is some real hate in here for apex. I think it is great for the hobby that they bought it and think we will see it on the market within a year. It does not seam complicated at all, consdering what it takes to test manually. You will need 4 small containers, if you want to test once a day which should be plenty for most tanks. You'll need bigger containers if you want to test every hour, but I see no real need for that.

Wow there is some real hate in here for apex. I think it is great for the hobby that they bought it and think we will see it on the market within a year. It does not seam complicated at all, consdering what it takes to test manually. You will need 4 small containers, if you want to test once a day which should be plenty for most tanks. You'll need bigger containers if you want to test every hour, but I see no real need for that.
If you watched the video, the guy mentioned that in the way he configured it. It will work on all controllers via a Bnc. I/e all controllers can use it. Neptune will give it a proprietary interface so it can only be used on apex and extremely over price it.. you have already seen where people are willing to pay upwards of a grand for such a device. I suspect the original inventor was probably low on Capitol to invest in the infrastructure to develop and market this great tool. Neptune being full of cash, just made him an offer he can't refuse...

If you watched the video, the guy mentioned that in the way he configured it. It will work on all controllers via a Bnc. I/e all controllers can use it. Neptune will give it a proprietary interface so it can only be used on apex and extremely over price it.. you have already seen where people are willing to pay upwards of a grand for such a device. I suspect the original inventor was probably low on Capitol to invest in the infrastructure to develop and market this great tool. Neptune being full of cash, just made him an offer he can't refuse...

Since no price was given it will be hard to say if they jack up the price. I am sure they will also put more into developing a finished product. A lot of Neptunes cost is support, which is some of the best in the hobby. Some products with none existent support do not cost that much less and have way more issues.
As far as BNC connectors go, I would be very surprised and didapointed if they used somthing different.
The video also stated the selller pretty much want to MACNA with the intent to sell it to someone else.

"Limited quantities available. One per household."

Lol

Have to break the bad news to my wife that her tank will have to wait ;)

They are available for purchase...Of course there is a hefty price.
http://www.coralvue.com/kh-guardian-pro

This really should be a great product. I do think the consumer wins on this as it is not a Neptune's product. I feel if it were it would even be more expensive that that price. I think there are a few other companies on the breach of this too.

Who is buying this as I need to be your friend to come over and see this in action?

hmmmm.. looks bit complicated to setup/adjust.. work in combination with 2part doser.

scared to leave it to this..

Last edited:
Back