Never seen Zoanthids.

How about flash pics and ones with other stuff in the background?

LMAP that is a macro shot with zero photoshop.

You want me to drop my gopro in the tank and make you a video? They appear in my tank the exact way you see them in the pic exept there is a little lavander in the pic.

LMAP that is a macro shot with zero photoshop.

You want me to drop my gopro in the tank and make you a video? They appear in my tank the exact way you see them in the pic exept there is a little lavander in the pic.

Exactly, it's a ridiculously blue saturated macro shot that's impossible to white balance so it's impossible to tell any color. How they look to you in your tank is not how they'd look in a tank that wasn't super saturated with blue, so no one can say what the color is. If I show you a picture of a blue piece of paper and tell you it's white but appears a little lavender you're going to be asking for a picture that shows a white piece of paper.

You're the one who said you were taking more pics 9 days ago, so not sure why you're getting snappy.

Exactly, it's a ridiculously blue saturated macro shot that's impossible to white balance so it's impossible to tell any color. How they look to you in your tank is not how they'd look in a tank that wasn't super saturated with blue, so no one can say what the color is. If I show you a picture of a blue piece of paper and tell you it's white but appears a little lavender you're going to be asking for a picture that shows a white piece of paper.

You're the one who said you were taking more pics 9 days ago, so not sure why you're getting snappy.

Dude get over it. I am active duty military and have better/more important things to do the listen to a troll tell me how to take my pictures.

So since you are so intelligent and seem to know how photos work and white balance, why don't you use your brain, say hmm they look a little more blue than they should do to the pictures being taken under 20k radiums. Then close your eyes and imagine if they were under 6k lights and think to yourself. Hmm they may look yellow. Since they are not that blue under blue lights and they make look yellow under 6k then just maybe they are white and reflecting what ever color they are under. So hmm maybe under a crisp white 14k they might just look white.

I thought you can't ship that outta Japan due to CITES. since those polyps are the encrusting type which would prove hard to remove from the rock they're on?

If collecting them in the wild the fishermen use a flat scraper. Once one edge is lifter the whole mat of them will peel right of the rock. No coral or rock taken. (the people that collect these here have permits and do not take them all. They leave most of it there to continue growing.)

Then you just glue them down to whatever is in your tank.

FWIW, If this is photoshop it's really really hard and time consuming to do this.
Especially getting that powdery look.
Trust me, I used to do graphics PT.

FWIW, If this is photoshop it's really really hard and time consuming to do this.

Yes this is no photoshop or LIGHTROOM at all. I used a Sony A7 II on a tripod with a 30mm E-mount macro lens. The sad part is that this macro is made for aspc format not full frame. So the camera auto crops the frame so you never see the vennyetting or how ever it is spelled. I could only imagine how good the pics will be when I have the appropriate lens for this camera. But the 100mm is like 1100.00

No one said it's photoshop. Anywhere. Your photoshop skills do tell you that it's not possible to tell what their actual color is in this picture though, especially if it's white :)

What people did say is they'd like to see a picture of them without being blown out with blue. Several people. The OP said he'd take one then had some kind of weird freakout when it was brought up again, so I guess we're stuck in some twilight zone "take my word on it or I'll call you names" area that I don't really understand the need for. In all honesty this point I'm just confused.

Last edited:
Good white balance in that photo, it definitely shows the centers are true white and the skirts are more of an off-white. I would love to see an updated photo in a few months to see if they undergo any sort of color transformation under your lighting/system.

They look kind of dull to me. White is just not a very attractive color in this hobby IMO, especially for corals. Now blue on the other hand...

They look kind of dull to me. White is just not a very attractive color in this hobby IMO, especially for corals. Now blue on the other hand...

I understand. But the way I see it is EVERYBODY has Tub Blues. Thousands of people have Oregon Torts.. But for now I am the ONLY person with this coral and until I tell someone in Okinawa where it was found or I frag it it will stay that way.

So I guess for me I like things not everyone else has.

Just to tease you all here are two more I got that I have never seen stateside

Ehh... Those are nice, but not spectaculiar IMO. I don't think you would be hard-pressed to find something very similar here in the states.

But for now I am the ONLY person with this coral and until I tell someone in Okinawa where it was found or I frag it it will stay that way.

So I guess for me I like things not everyone else has.

Just to tease you all here are two more I got that I have never seen stateside

Ehh... Those are nice, but not spectaculiar IMO. I don't think you would be hard-pressed to find something very similar here in the states.

This.

Your "white" ones come in from Bali fairly regularly, people will recognize them if you post a pic in about a month or two, and your other two have about 3 different hobby names each. Corals don't have to be the most unique in the world just enjoy them.

Back