New 180 Gallon RR Setup with over the back returns

marcnc

Hi Everyone,
I have not posted before, but have been a member for a while. I am setting up my first RR tank 180 gallon. I am going to go with the herbie type drains, but my question is in regards to the returns over the back. Does anyone have any suggestions how to do this? I plan to use 1" PVC and have one return on each side of the tank that goes into 3/4" loc-line. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what works best going over the rim of the tank or pictures?

Any suggestions, thanks for your time.

I have a 180 mwith over the back returns. I used 3/4" PVC 90 degree elbows. It's not pretty, but since I have a canopy, it doesn't matter to me.

Will you have a canopy on the tank?

I have a 180 mwith over the back returns. I used 3/4" PVC 90 degree elbows. It's not pretty, but since I have a canopy, it doesn't matter to me.

Will you have a canopy on the tank?

Thanks for the info, I found some 1" to 3/4" 90's that I was thinking I could use and put my loc-line into those. I assume I should be using 1", as the pump a Waveline DC 12000.

I do have a canopy so that might be the best way to go. The only other option is to drill, which I don't really want to do that in a brand new tank, or buy one of these expensive options that are custom made.

Here is what I did. The diffuser has since been replaced with a new one that I just have 2 long slits in.

return2.jpg

return1.jpg

I did the same as others here, two 90 degree elbows. I actually left enough space between the elbow that it just slips down over the trim and kinda locks in place. I didn't use loc-line in the water, the second elbow was threaded, so I threaded on a 3/4" slip elbow.

When I had my 210 RR set up (( in the process of building a house, and took it down before the old place sold )), I had an Herbie in each overflow, and had the returns going over the back. (( when I set it back up, I doubt I will split the returns )). Worked very well for me.

Can see the dual returns here (( the extra pipe and funnel was to leak test the plumbing for the returns ))

plumbing4_zps84c277f1.jpg

Before I painted the back, with the loc-line installed.

plumbing5_zpsbe1011e7.jpg

Can barely see the returns with the canopy on

FTS2_zps0f235b43.jpg

I was thinking about doing this aswell,but my concern is do I make the return in both overflows herbie or just one.

I was thinking about doing this aswell,but my concern is do I make the return in both overflows herbie or just one.

Mine was running for about a year, and I didn't have any issues with have an Herbie in each overflow. The right one seems to flow slightly faster (( judging from my filter socks )), but really didn't cause an issue. I have a feeling I was slightly off with my measurements and one of the siphons was slightly short than the other.
I messed with the gate valves for the first week, but after that I really didn't have to adjust them.
When I set the tank back up, I will use an Herbie in both again, worked that well.

Thanks Toddrtrex,So they should be at the same height.Did you put gate valve on both or just one.

Sure thing.

As close to the same height as you can get them.

Yeah, I put a gate on both, and kept them separate the whole time. Almost treat them like 2 different tanks going into a shared sump.

Can see the left side here, the left bulkhead/drain is the E-drain

plumbing11_zps5b067d50.jpg

Here you can see the left's E-drain and the full drain for the right side. The lower gate valve is for the return

plumbing10_zps0297d8a4.jpg

Finally the right's full and E-drain (( the Apex was sitting there for sizing, didn't leave it there :) ))

plumbing8_zpsd8bac61a.jpg

Back