New 225 Setup with Aquascaping Focus

Odin,

While I agree with your statement on cooking the rock I did it for a few reasons.

A: I already have a ton of live rock from my previous tank that has all of those organisms on it and will eventually transfer across to the cooked rock.

B: I have had great luck so far with no Aptasia or any other pests so this ensures that will continue.

C: I wanted Tonga rock to continue the look of the tank. I really like to look of the rock over the standard Fiji rock.

:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7818007#post7818007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Odin1
The tank seems to becoming along very nicely. Why cook the rock? Even though it will deter algaes it will also kill almost all the benefical organisms that came on the rock. The only thing that will stay alive are the non photosynthetic organisms. Its almost like buying base rock and seeding it with a couple of peices of live rock. So in a sense you wasted your money buying live rock.

What beneficial photosynthetic organisms are going to die, exactly?

man i love those multi pump recirc skimmers. that is bad ***! cant wait to see more and of the skimmer in action. what that thing cost you? also where did you purchase the air dryer?

Can you post some pics? I am getting my 225 ready and like the approach you are describing. Thanks.

While I appreciate the concept of "focus on aquascaping" thing. I would like to point out that the rock piles you see are mostly from either new tanks or sparse tanks. After much time and money, the aquascaping becomes more of a coral color and placement issue. The LR is just a base for the coral. The steep sides and fancy arches have to give way to terraces and shelves for placing the corals. You need to design the system for the maximum amount of coral and at the same time arrange to prevent turf wars. In the end, the "pile of rocks" ends up working better. But you can't see it because of all the coral.

Meant to be a little FYI and not a critisism. Just plan the aquascaping toward the end vision not what it looks like in the beginning.

Mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7920118#post7920118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
While I appreciate the concept of "focus on aquascaping" thing. I would like to point out that the rock piles you see are mostly from either new tanks or sparse tanks. After much time and money, the aquascaping becomes more of a coral color and placement issue. The LR is just a base for the coral. The steep sides and fancy arches have to give way to terraces and shelves for placing the corals. You need to design the system for the maximum amount of coral and at the same time arrange to prevent turf wars. In the end, the "pile of rocks" ends up working better. But you can't see it because of all the coral.

Meant to be a little FYI and not a critisism. Just plan the aquascaping toward the end vision not what it looks like in the beginning.

Mike

No critisism taken :)

I do not like the look of the new tanks with the Bare Walls of Rock or the Walls of Rock jam packed with coral either.

You can create a beautiful aquascape with live rock (Not just pile it on top of one another), have sweeping overhangs, wide open areas/lanes for fish to swim. (Just look at the first link in this thread or do a search for some of Fudge's rockwork on RC) Then you can place coral selectively instead of covering every inch of rock with it.

I just get so tired of seeing the same tank again and again followed by a ton of "GREAT TANK!!" responses. There seems to be very little creativity from tank to tank. I am not saying that I am great at this, just that I want to try to change things up as IMHO, the standard reef tank is very boring.

I am still not there yet myself. I have completely redone my rockwork again and will post some pics soon. I am open to your opinions and ideas.

Roger that. I see the most hideous of tanks with a bunch of "Great tank!" responses myself. Good luck, I think a tank should be a centerpiece of any room.

i think people say " nice tank" to an ugly tank cuz they want to add input, but they dont wanna be jerks!
personally i think people over do it with thier ten thousand pounds of rock in a small tank.
take it easy with the rock, leave some room for coral growth...
and stop piling rocks up against the glass dang it!

I guess just outright dissing on the looks of the tank is tantamount to calling someone's baby ugly, right?

But darn it, sometimes they just ARE.

Scott

Just found this thread and I am excited to see how your tank turns out. I too hate the wall of rock look. I like a lot more open spaces and rockwork that looks more natural. Here are a few pics of my aquascaping. Excuse the bad white balance setting i had just got the camera when I took these. I am also in the process of scraping the back glass as I decided I don't like the coraline on it.

IMAGE210.JPG

IMAGE211.JPG

IMAGE212.JPG

Very nice indeed. I really like the rocks on the left hand side. The Overhang and the slanted piece are fantastic.

How did you do that?

I am currently making a huge ledge for my system, and some long branching arms, Ill post some more pics next week when it's done.

maybe its the rock shaped I've purchased, but I cant ever get mine to stand without touching the glass... I've tried a ton of times and they just wont be stable... i don't really want to epoxy or glue any of the rocks together... any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks..

Jester

Realistically you are going to have to do one of the following to get your rocks to not look like they are just stacked on top of each other.

Drill holes and use twist ties to hold them together.
Drill holes and use twist ties to hold them on to PVC.
Use Epoxy.
Use Glue.

I am doing all of the above.

Thanks for the comments. I do have rocks leaning on the back glass. I didn't use anything to hold the rocks together though. Just lots of planning and restacking and wedging to get them to be stable.

I love my Orange Shoulder. He has so much personality!

Time for a new update. Sorry for the lack of posts but my dad is very ill right now and all of my spare time has gone to him.

Things have been going very quickly this last week. The wife has been on holidays and my new floor is installed. I am finally happy with the aquascaping but seriously think I will put a shallow layer of sand in since EVERYONE that sees the tank asks me about this.

Here is a pic of the new flooring with fish logo :)

IMG_1457Large.jpg

And a few shots of my 80% complete fish room.

IMG_1465Large.jpg

IMG_1466Large.jpg

Aquatronica with only the heaters set up right now.

IMG_1464Large.jpg

I now have the sump installed and after a few modifications, it is running well

IMG_1458Large.jpg

IMG_1459Large.jpg

Here are the last few customers in quarantine waiting to go into the main tank:

IMG_1460Large.jpg

IMG_1461Large.jpg

And last but not least, a few shots of the main tank.

IMG_1470Large.jpg

IMG_1476Large.jpg

IMG_1478Large.jpg

IMG_1477Large.jpg

Almost forgot. At the top of my tank I have a Mangrove growing from the rock. Not sure how this will pan out.

IMG_1473Large-1.jpg

Let me know what you think. Ill post more now as more of the toys start to come online. Still TONS to do but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. this week will be about placing corals and frags, getting the Aquatronica online and getting some sand in the bottom. The week after my huge ozonizer arrives from the states. Cannot wait!

very nice set up. ur aqauscaping is great love the open look and all the arches and overhangs..........

Back