New 5.5g AGA Setup "Pics"

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is remove the intake tube and look in the hole and you will see the impeller looking back at you. If you can squeeze your fingers down there and grab it....it should come up pretty easy (it will slide over a metal guide). If you can't get it out that way you may have to remove the filter from the tank and drain the water out of the filter. The motor assemby comes off of the bottom of the filter with a CCW half turn and then you will have super easy access to the impeller.

I used a pair of dykes (side cutters) to cut the impeller blades as close as I could to the main shaft. They all cut pretty flush so it didnt take much time to remove the left overs with a razor blade.

I bought an extra impeller a while back on e'Bay just in case and it cost like $15 ($9 + $6 shipping)....then I find out a local LFS had them for $10

Let me know how it works :)

SBC

shouldabenacowboy - Thanks for the help, i will give this a try tomorrow when i have time. I'll let you know how it turned out.

It looks like your lights are pretty close to the water. Do you have any heat problems? My lights are 36w, about 6 inches off the water and I had to install a fan to help keep temps out of the high 80's. Another factor is my home is not air conditioned (yet) and inside temps are close to 80.

Just curious....

SBC

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585269#post7585269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shouldabenacowboy
It looks like your lights are pretty close to the water. Do you have any heat problems? My lights are 36w, about 6 inches off the water and I had to install a fan to help keep temps out of the high 80's. Another factor is my home is not air conditioned (yet) and inside temps are close to 80.

Just curious....

SBC

I have a piece of glass in the bottom of hood, i haven't had any prob. with my tank temp. I keep my house around 75 degrees...

Finally got my filter to work the way i wanted. I made a couple baffels and cut 3 of the 6 impeller blades off. I still need to add something to the intake inside the tank to keep my fish from swimming inside of it. All of this has reduced the flow enought to keep my sand in place and still give me enough filtration.

I had to cut about 2" off of the intake tube (not the extension) to make it fit in mine. The extension slid right on and it keeps everything out of intake.

I am glad my impeller mod worked for ya :)

Keep the pics a-coming

SBC

Here are a couple of new pics i took today. You can see a full shot of the tank so far. You can also see the filter and some mods made to it to help reduce water flow. (Baffel added, black piece taken off from inner u-tube, cut and inverted the end piece for the u-tube on the inside of the tank..kinda hard to see from the pics). I'm planning on adding some more liverock this weekend...and the pics will continue.

DCP_1784.jpg

DCP_1788.jpg

DCP_1789.jpg

DCP_1786.jpg

DCP_1790.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7574590#post7574590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lpabsolute
shouldabenacowboy and Pico Keeper

Could i see some pics of your setups. I'm really liking how mine is turning out. If i can just keep the sand from blowing around the tank i think i will do fine.

I take some pics for you tommorrow. But just some info, im using a fluval 404 canister filter with a loc line spray bar as a return. Inside the canister is nothing more then live rock rubble and when needed i add my carbon, purigen, or phosguard bags in there as well.

My ac110 has a cut impeller with 3 blades just like posted earlier in this thread. it has a small section after the pump which holds my heater and a poly pad for particulate removal. Inside the ac110 is a tiny bit of sand rock and chaetomorpha macro algae. It is lit by a 10watt 50/50 microcompact fluro light..

Here's an old pic from when it first got thrown together:

DSC03896.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7590388#post7590388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by super-cichlid
Are the filter and the tank the same length?

Nah, There is a little bit of space on both sided. I set the filter in the center on the tank. I believe it's less than an inch left on both sides.

I read that you can use a smaller aquaclear impeller on a 110. I believe they used an aquaclear 60 impeller on a 110.

Marty

onhref=showthread.php?s=&postid=7584670#post7584670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shouldabenacowboy [/i]
I had the same problems with sand blowing around and I could not find a solution posted anywhere. What I ended up doing is removing half of the blades on the impeller. I was nervous about doing this but I had a spare impeller laying around so I figured I had nothing to lose. I read somewhere that someone tried trimming the blades down, to make them smaller, but ended up making the impeller assembly off balance and it made lots of noise. After I removed the blades I was quite surprised to watch it prime right up and start moving water without a sound.

I can not give an number of how much water it moves now,but it does move less water as my sand does not blow around anymore. I also believe I have enough flow for this small tank.

ACMOD.jpg

Hope this helps :)

SBC
[/QUOTE]

Wow nice orange zoos. There are pretty bright so are the red ones in the front, I like them alot.

As promised here are the updated pics of my 5.5. We have almost identical tanks minus stocking. Same drygoods.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7596263#post7596263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pico Keeper
Wow nice orange zoos. There are pretty bright so are the red ones in the front, I like them alot.

As promised here are the updated pics of my 5.5. We have almost identical tanks minus stocking. Same drygoods.

Beautiful tank. Looks like your clown is really liking that mushroom.

Back