New Achilles Tang...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagger

is not eating :( Today is only the 2nd day I've had him. He looks healthy overall & picks at the rocks all day but has shown no interest in food. I didnt ask the LFS to watch him eat cause I was too excited to find one. He was at the LFS for one day only, so he's straight from Hawaii.

Could he possibly still be acclimating to his new surroundings? He swims openly thru-out the tank. Anyways, here's to hoping he comes around :thumbsup:

how big is your tank?

here is mine in my 300
achilles.jpg

:lol: I knew I should've changed my sig before posting. It's a 70h.

Any tricks up your sleeve Bebo? Beautiful fish. Mine looks just like that, with just a bit more white under it's mouth.

honestly.. if possible take it back, i have not seen one in a tank less then 180g.. these fish need lots of open space to swim.. rock work to dart in and out of and lots and lots of flow...

they are not an easy fish to keep..

Mine eats everything... but i have some 20+ fish in my tank...

Eh, all tangs need room. I just saw one in a 120. He already has a lap set-up under & over the LR with lots of flow. Besides, where do you find an achilles for $50?

My last picky fish took about a week to come around to eat. Im just hoping he comes around a little sooner. I'll prob try some garlic & zooplankton tonight. Thanks

Thanks. BTW, I dont mean to come off ignorant. I know what the min. recommended tank size is for this fish & I know I'm under that. Guess I better get used to people telling me so :eek:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10461316#post10461316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lagger
Thanks. BTW, I dont mean to come off ignorant. I know what the min. recommended tank size is for this fish & I know I'm under that. Guess I better get used to people telling me so :eek:

Yea it would probably be a good idea to get used to it :p . I couldn't imagine my achilles in anything less then a 6 ft tank.

50 bucks for an Achilles Tang "rental" I guess is a good price. The mortality rate on this fish is extremely high, and one not eating after a couple days.......

I agree with Bebo77, take it back. But take a couple of pics of it in your tank for the memories, thats what I did before mine died in a two week span. Oh yeah, my "rental" price was $90. Probably will never try another, best kept in the ocean.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10463159#post10463159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnc914
50 bucks for an Achilles Tang "rental" I guess is a good price. The mortality rate on this fish is extremely high, and one not eating after a couple days.......

I agree with Bebo77, take it back. But take a couple of pics of it in your tank for the memories, thats what I did before mine died in a two week span. Oh yeah, my "rental" price was $90. Probably will never try another, best kept in the ocean.

Thanks for the suggestion. The achilles actually tried some food today, but spit it back out. Its just a matter of time before it takes.

I feel this particular speciman is very healthy due to not being at the LFS for more than a day, where its easy to attract ich or some other disease. I acclimated him well & it's getting along with it's tankmates quite nice. Anyways, thanks for all the feeding suggestions. :rolleye1:

I started mine off in a 75 and now he is in a 150. I've had mine for almost 2 years, but mine ate a couple of hours after putting him in qt (I got lucky).

I would have waited until it ate at the LFS before bringing it home. They are hard to keep especially if you get the smaller specimens. I do not order them for any of my clients because they are so hard to keep. If by chance I lose the one in our display I doubt I will order another. Try placing some nori soaked in selcon and garlic and leave that in the tank with him all the time. Change it out daily so it does not rot.

If yours lives then congrats, they are wonderful and beautiful fish. They have lots of personality and mine will eat out of my hand; I can also pet him on occasion. One last thing, when I put mine in the 75 it RULED the tank and brutally attacked everything I put in after it except for my clownfish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10463644#post10463644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KEstep
I started mine off in a 75 and now he is in a 150. I've had mine for almost 2 years, but mine ate a couple of hours after putting him in qt (I got lucky).

I would have waited until it ate at the LFS before bringing it home. They are hard to keep especially if you get the smaller specimens. I do not order them for any of my clients because they are so hard to keep. If by chance I lose the one in our display I doubt I will order another. Try placing some nori soaked in selcon and garlic and leave that in the tank with him all the time. Change it out daily so it does not rot.

If yours lives then congrats, they are wonderful and beautiful fish. They have lots of personality and mine will eat out of my hand; I can also pet him on occasion. One last thing, when I put mine in the 75 it RULED the tank and brutally attacked everything I put in after it except for my clownfish.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping he doesnt become a bully & start punking my clowns. So far he's chill. Here he is, in his 70g rental :lol:

29000883nq3.jpg

89463647ou6.jpg

59708731wr1.jpg

Mine did not attack fish that were already in the tank it was only the new additions. I added a dwarf angel once and my room mate started screaming at me while i was in the other room saying that the big black fish was attacking the angel. When I walked in the achillies had the angel by its gill and was slamming it into the glass repeatedly. I have never seen a fish do that before. It freaked me out pretty bad. Then I had a banggai cardinal I added and the achillies attacked him so bad that he hid out in the anemone with my clownfish. If they had not let him hang out with them I think the tang would have killed it.

I would definately try to save some money for a larger tank than that. It is better to have more length for an Achillies than height.

im sorry but that fish could bring an ich outbreak in your tank from stress, these fish require large amounts of water movement, pristine water, lots of algae, and a large tank

i know you have heard it a ton of times but its just not going to be good for that fish or your tank

I may have posted this in another discussion regarding the Achilles...but I was told by an LFS in my area that the beautiful Achilles he has in his reef tank display for 2 years is alive because he runs ozone. i started running ozone and continued with my UV and have 6 tangs, mostly small or juvi specimens. I can attest that since adding ozone, my water is spotless and my tangs have not been healthier. I have a juvi Dussumieri that initially had ich, now he is spotless. Ozone kills off pathogens, the UZV killed the ich.

FatChevronandAchilles.jpg

I feed nori sheet & mysis. The mysis is soaked in selcon & garlic.
I also have a 210gal with UV & ozone. You don't need a tank my size, but you should have an adequate UV sterilizer. All my tangs like nori & mysis the best.

i didn't have problem with mine eating, usually it'll take few days. wait for few days and keep feeding like normal...

i tried 2 achillies but always die from ich...

Thanks guys. Im thinking it's just an acclimating thing until he feels comfortable enough to eat. My water is RO+UV sterilized ;)

Great and useful info on this thread.... Thanks
I just recently purchased a 3" Achilles Tang for $75. Now, he is currently in my 20gallon QT setup, alone, trying to get him to also eat. If all goes well he will be in his new home within two weeks. Overall he looks real healthy and swimming good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back