New Biocube 29 Setup Suggestions Suggestions

acer88

I just received my BioCube 29 and built a stand for it. I plan using this for nano reef, I don't plan on hosting any crazy corals that would require more light. I have been searching this forum for ideas and or mods to the Biocube for best results. My only definite is that I am going to purchase a better skimmer, most likely a CPR SR2.

My question is: Are there any other suggestions or modifications/extras to include in my setup. I have read that some remove the bio cubes and replace with live rock, and others have had success with the stock setup.

I have read the BioCube Owners Thread but its a lot to digest all at once because it was split.

Take out bioballs.

Replace stop pump with Maxijet 900/1200.

Add Koralia 1 or 2 (for water movement in-tank) depending on what corals you want.

it sucks. what i did was pushed the RP so it whent up making wave like stuff and got two koralia 2's. i would suggest just getting a koralia 3 though

I have a CPR SR3 skimmer that I placed in the second chamber of my Biocube 29. Does it matter which way it faces in the chamber?

My reason for asking is that no matter which directions it faces I get way too many bubbles being pulled into the tank by the reutrn pump. I have tried turning the air down but it still does not matter as it is either too bubbly and the return pump pulls it into the main tank or no bubbles at all in the skimmer. What am I doing wrong?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15610902#post15610902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acer88
I have a CPR SR3 skimmer that I placed in the second chamber of my Biocube 29. Does it matter which way it faces in the chamber?

My reason for asking is that no matter which directions it faces I get way too many bubbles being pulled into the tank by the reutrn pump. I have tried turning the air down but it still does not matter as it is either too bubbly and the return pump pulls it into the main tank or no bubbles at all in the skimmer. What am I doing wrong?

As far as what direction to run the skimmer I contacted a CPR tech and he stated that it didnt matter which direction you placed the skimmer into chamber 2.He also stated one way to reduce the amount of micro bubbles was to run the water level as high as possible in chamber 2 without it spilling into the skimmer outflow.That seemed to help alittle but still would get them into the display.I never could get the micro bubbles to go away,just something that I had to deal with that skimmer.Give it a try and see how it works out for you.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as protein skimmers for the biocube 29 ? I tried the cpr sr3 and that was a pain in the but to get rid of the bubbles, I finally got rid of it and put the bioballs back in temporarily. I am looking for something else to use.

What about using a canister filter ?

Also has anyone used charcoal bags in the first chamber??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15712017#post15712017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acer88
Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as protein skimmers for the biocube 29 ? I tried the cpr sr3 and that was a pain in the but to get rid of the bubbles, I finally got rid of it and put the bioballs back in temporarily. I am looking for something else to use.

What about using a canister filter ?

Also has anyone used charcoal bags in the first chamber??

Skimmer,Tunze 9002,Sapphire Aquatics or check out link below.
http://www.nanoreefsystems.com/nano-protein-skimmer-oceanic-biocube-29g-open-top.asp

I removed the floor in chamber 1,and run carbon and gfo in there.
I would remove the bio balls.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15714398#post15714398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lucas73
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1617930

Biocube Owners Thread

Thanks, for the link, not to sound like an A$$ but if you happened to read my first post, I already linked to that thread. Its a pain to read through those threads, as people get off topic and you have to sift through hundreds of posts. Sometimes in Forums its easier to post a new thread and get immediate responses that are 100% relevant:)

Thanks for the link anyways.

Lucas73,

I just noticed in your signature that you have a Euro Reef Skimmer...How do you like that? does it have the same problem with micro bubbles getting into the main tank like the CPR SR3??

I love it,no micro-bubbles at all.Clean the foam sponge/bubble diffuser once or twice a week and all is good.Excellent nano skimmer,very effecient and well built.JMO

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718902#post15718902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lucas73
I love it,no micro-bubbles at all.Clean the foam sponge/bubble diffuser once or twice a week and all is good.Excellent nano skimmer,very effecient and well built.JMO

Does that fit in the second chamber and allow you to close the lid?

or do you leave the back lid open??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15728841#post15728841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acer88
Does that fit in the second chamber and allow you to close the lid?

or do you leave the back lid open??

It fits in the second chamber you cant use the stock hood.The total height of the skimmer is 22".

get rid of the bioballs and put some rock ruble in with a bottle of matrix in place i run a uv sterilizer and carbon along with the stock filter.also has stated by others i added a koralia nano and a hydor deflector ;)

overflow into sump...?

overflow into sump...?

So I am contemplating on just building a small sump and somehow create an over flow without drilling the back of the tank, as it would be a total pain this far into the game.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to integrate an overflow into the BC 29 without draining it to drill the back of the tank??

at first I had this great idea of just using the stock pump to fil the sump and then use another pump to put it back into the tank, but then reality hit and I realized that if there was ever a power outage it might overflow the sump...

any ideas??

Back