New build thread... 210 gallons

Well, this past 6 weeks have kicked my butt between work and life in general. Rather than being up and cycling already as planned, I just finished my rock layout.

Using all of your advice, I went rock to the glass, then will add sand.

Here is the rock layout. What do you think?
376677b1c02f10413cac59c11756ed8b.jpg

55626b14e30a0ac81926d71bf7d6d08f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Can you get behind the rock?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah, the tank is 2 feet wide. The back of the 2 coves are still 3" from the back. I'll try and take a top down picture tomorrow.

In the spirit of constructive feedback, one guideline I've always lived by and found useful is try not to stack rock more than half the height of the tank.

I also see coral placement rather challenging with how it stand currently.

In the spirit of constructive feedback, one guideline I've always lived by and found useful is try not to stack rock more than half the height of the tank.

I also see coral placement rather challenging with how it stand currently.
I appreciate the input. I added the top row because it looked so barren with only being half full.

I must admit I look forward to the day I have problems fitting coral in there!

After 3 days of making salt water 50 gallons at a time, I finally had the tank running at 9pm last night.
f496a4a84ed1ce33c1ecad9dc13b7d95.jpg

And this morning a single raw shrimp went for a swim (Well, sink, not swim really)

So what's your initial stocking list going to look like?
My previous occupants are 2 occ clowns, a firefish, a huge PJ cardinal, a canary blenny, a bicolor blenny, and a yellow watchman goby. They are relaxing in a 45 gallon hospital tank, waiting on their new digs.

I recently won a gift certificate to Live Aquaria that will probably go to a harem of anthias. Not sure of which particular flavor yet, I just like them.

Ultimately want a couple tangs, or maybe a "safer" Angel...

Just trying to take it slowly, qt everything, and grow it up right.

Corals will slowly increase if we ever have an auction on a Saturday I don't work! I have some zoas, hammers, and fuzzy mushrooms along with a larger green nepthia, but that's all I have so far.

They still have a Gem Tang at Diver's Den. :)

You know, you can always have someone bid for you at the auctions. I've seen several people do that. If the frag doesn't look as good in person, the trusted bidder just skips it. You set the max that you want to spend on any particular piece. Way way way cheaper than either buying online or at an LFS and usually much nicer frags.

They still have a Gem Tang at Diver's Den. :)

You know, you can always have someone bid for you at the auctions. I've seen several people do that. If the frag doesn't look as good in person, the trusted bidder just skips it. You set the max that you want to spend on any particular piece. Way way way cheaper than either buying online or at an LFS and usually much nicer frags.

That is indeed a beautiful fish! My wife is incredibly understanding of my addiction, but somehow I don;t see that understanding stretching to $2700 on a single fish...

I should be off for the next one (I work 8 weekends on, 8 weekend off) so we'll see how it schedules out. If not, I may need to recruit a bidder!

Had an awesome time at Frag Fest, even walked out with some new RFG nozzles for my return lines from the raffle and a couple frag for the tank. Cycle is pretty close to established, just need to do a big water change for nitrates.

Got the lights up, the Apex Jr installed and firmware updated, and got the new Gyre installed. Here's how it's looking:
7323aabc72348fde1ae85c41e4ee3f18.jpg

Looks great. How far along are you in the cycle?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Pretty well done. I've added ammonia twice, and it's gone to zero. I finally cheated on the second week and added a bottle of BioSpira. So much for my going slow...

I need to do a big water change because nitrates are too high. I hope to move fish over this weekend!

Pretty well done. I've added ammonia twice, and it's gone to zero. I finally cheated on the second week and added a bottle of BioSpira. So much for my going slow...

I need to do a big water change because nitrates are too high. I hope to move fish over this weekend!

I've got nitrates hovering at 25 more work to do

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back