new H.Magnifica

SNAKEMANVET

PREMIUM MEMBER
I picked this up at BSL Friday.It has been 2 days a qt, dosed with 750 mgs of cipro,25 mg per gallon.

First day in qt.

001-30.jpg

2nd day mouth
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/SNAKEMANVET/002-34.jpg[/IMG]

002-34.jpg

nice piece you got there David!
Heteractis is my favorite anemone, I even have it hanging in my house from a dive trip to Lembeh.
It is a pink Magnifica with a skunk anemonefish ( Amphprion Peridraion) in it
Gratz!
DSC01267.jpg

do you have a lot of room in your tank?
Looks like a big one once it is acclimated in new surroundings

I have a big rock of green star polyps that's got go. Right now it measures about 12'' across.I should be placeing the mag in the display around Wed or Thurs this week.It will have the one side of the 75 all to it self.My clowns have spotted it already.The 28 nano is beside the dt.

Green Star Polyps... So wanted some of those until I realized they grow just like crabgrass.

Thanks Brian,I started today doing 5 gallon water change daily with display tank water.I should have the anemone in the main tank by Friday.The anemone is still good and hasn't deflated.

I'm new to the world of anemone care so just curious as to why you are quarantining it so long? I remember from studying wild anemones off of California that they were about as fragile as a pile of mud and thrived in tidal zones.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

When anemones are bagged for shippment they contain food in their gut.During shipment these get expelled as waste in the bag which is then takeing back into anemone causeing the remaining food to form bad bacteria.The anemone needs to get rid of the the bad,thats the reason for qt,the cipro is taken in and helps to get of the bad.Some say the anemone contains good bacteria already.I have stopped doseing cipro after 4 days and have started doing regular water changes.It is suggested that treatment to long could be bad as well that it might kill some of the good bacteria.If you get a chance go the clownfish and anemone forum and read (antibotic treatment for H.Magnifica) by Minh.

Well I just learned something! I guess the anemones I grew up with and the ones in my tanks are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Most host anemones are not as hardy as for instance rock,and mini maxis.I had a unknown anemone that I purchased from kermits reef several years ago that was tough,I was moveing some rock around and placed a couple in a bucket of tank water and forgot it was on it.The next morning I looked in the bucket the anemone was fully extended and the water temp was around 60 degrees. The shipping is what so stressful on them,alot of anemones are doomed by the way they are collected,some have damage to the foot which in most cases is certain death for the anemone,and some sit in the bag to long.More collectors are now useing antibotics for newly collected anemones.

I dripped acclamated the anemone for 3 hrs and now is in the display.The clowns were in it before I could place on the live rock.
A couple pics in the dt.

003-31.jpg

004-23.jpg

Back