New hobbyist, new 2.5g Pico.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8691297#post8691297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by compulou
I went to my local Big Als as they had the 36w Coralife light in stock and even with the Adjustable Legs you mentioned it did not work. Are you gutting out the Coralife to stick into the hood?

Yeah, eventually I will remove the components from the aluminum encasing and stick them in a canopy that I have yet to build. I didn't buy the legs for the light because I forgot they weren't included. I may just speed up construction on the hood so I don't have to buy them, but right now the thing is resting on a couple of 2x2 scrap pieces, which is stable enough to keep it out of the water, but obviously not a permanent solution. I'll post pics tonight when I find the camera's mini-USB cable... grr...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8691328#post8691328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spracklcat
For test kits--get a nitrate one (N03) too

What about calcium, phosphate, etc.? These seem to be popular. Are they necessary, or just one of those reef-keeper overkill items that everybody has? Molybdenum, strontium... it seems like there are a million things I am supposed to be testing for.

Definitely get the hydrometer working--especially in a tiny system like this where 0.5l evaporation will change your salinity, you need it and you will need to keep a very close eye on keeping the salinity stable.

Yeah, I figured out that if I let it fill really, really slowly I can pretty much eliminate bubbles that form. I test my salinity about every day, and it has remained relatively stable, though lower than I'd like at 1.021. I'm trying to get it up to 1.024-1.026. This is correct, no? I've been adding a tiny bit of salt (Reef Crystals) to the topoff water each day. It's true that the salinity will automatically rise with evaporation, right?

Also--you will want your pH higher--ideally ~8.4 during the day. I really don't think "dosing" a tank this small to increase pH is a good idea, especially if you are new at reefkeeping (you are, no?) as that can introduce wild swings in such a teeny system unless you are incredibly conscientious and careful, and measure and test first. Instead (and what I am trying to do for now) I would recommend large frequent water changes with good quality artificial salt (test the water before you use it for pH--maybe this is your problem), and diligent topoff with RO/DI.

How frequent? I haven't done a water change yet (still cycling), but I had planned on changing out about a half-gallon every other week. More? Less?

Let us know how that coralife fixture works--I am using the 2 x 9W PC fixture, which I fear may be a little small, but I wonder if your evaporation and heating issues are going to be difficult.

I installed the fixture last night. Today will be the test to see how much it affects evap. II marked the water level this morning (which I set where I want it to be) in the overflow, which I assume is where the water level will drop. It seems like I had to do topoffs pretty frequently already, though.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

dont test just do water changes lots of them testing in a 2.5 is silly because if anything is wrong all you can do is a water change

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8691716#post8691716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
dont test just do water changes lots of them testing in a 2.5 is silly because if anything is wrong all you can do is a water change

I see what you mean, but isn't this operating on the assumption that tests are only to see if something is wrong. Are there things that can benefit from a test?

Testing is critically important, especially at the beginning when the tank is cycling. Testing for Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite will tell you how far along you are in the development of your biological filter (what will, when your tank is mature, break down these toxins) and MOST IMPORTANTLY when you can start adding more livestock. Please, save yourself the $$ and the live sof your critters by NOT adding things until your levels for at least Ammonia and nitrite are zero. Otherwise, I can promise you all you will do is watch your tank crash and you'll be sad and frustrated like so many others. As an example, I started my 2.5g with already established LR and LS, put one fish in, and while my ammonia/nitrate/nitrite were undetectable when I started the tank and 4 days later, at 1.5 weeks I have an ammonia spike due to the re-cycling of the tank, despite near-100% water changes 2 x weekly. If i had corals or other critters in there, they would surely have perished.

The key here is patience and time...allow time for the tank to cycle, make changes as slowly as you can. This is true for any new reef tank, but critically so for a nano, which is inherently unstable due to size.

Let me be clear: I have no intention of adding anything to the tank, except maybe another small piece of live rock, until I am absolutely certain that my cycle is complete and I am fully ready. I'm not running off to liveaquaria.com tonight and ordering animals. I just like to plan ahead, so I'm curious what I could put into the tank, when the time comes.

That being said:

What are some good additions for a pico like mine? Sexy shrimp? Nassarius and Astrea snails?

I'd like someday to have a starfish. Would a red marble star remain small enough?

(I know everyone says this, but I do intend on up-sizing as soon as my budget and skill allows, but I'd rather be safe and only select species that would be okay in the 2.5 indefinitely.)

:) I didn't mean to imply that you would jump the gun--sorry if it sounded like that.

But of course it would be no fun if we didn't dream a bit, no?

Sexy shrimp would be great in a 2.5--I have one in a bigger tnak and it's neat, but lost. Small snails are good too--the Turbos are a bit big, but Astraea would be peachy. A SMALL hermit would be cool too, but know that it will grow.

Starfish--hmm. I wouldn't. Eventually you may get as a hitchiker the tiny Asterina starfish, or the very small brittle stars. I don't know the species you are thinking about.

Planning on fish or corals?

Well, I don't know much about the corals in terms of what's easy to keep, what's compatible with that size tank, et cetera. All I know is what looks good. ;)

As far as fish... I've been told not to do it. I can't resist, though. What about a tiny yellow clown goby? I've seen plenty of 2.5s with larger fish whose keepers claim they are healthy and happy. I don't want to be irresponsible, but I like fish, and I just know that if there's not one, anybody who looks at the tank will ask, "so where's the fish?"

Any suggestions?

Okay, so Im thinking...

1x Yellow Clown Goby -- easy, small, bright-colored
2x Sexy Shrimp
2x Nassarius Snail
2x-3x Astraea Snail
1x Hermit crab -- I should probably stick with the dwarf varities, eh? Maybe a dwarf zebra or scarlet.

I still don't know about corals.

Last edited:
I don't think a fish is an absolute no-no-- you just want to choose something that doesn't require a lot of swimming room :). A clown goby is a good choice--just make sure you get one that is small and feeds well. Other small gobies are good too--perhaps a Citron goby? Any of the fish that just "perch" would be good. If you ahd a bigger tank to trade things into I'd say maybe a juvenile clownfish, but it would quickly outgrow.

Another thing to consider--if your tank is not enclosed on the top, what is going to prevent the fish from jumping?

Corals--you've got lot's of time to ponder this--look around and see what you like. There are some amazing tanks in the nTOTM thread that use just zoanthids--

It isn't enclosed on the top right now, but by the time I add a fish it should be. I'm going to build a canopy to contain the lights.

Pictures!

Pictures!

Alright, finally... pictures.

Looking at the glass in the pictures -- all I can say is, apparently these were taken before I windexed (carefully) the exterior glass. As for the interior glass, I ordered a Nimble Nano yesterday, so that'll be taken care of soon, too.

Those live rock shots are blurry, I'll try again later and post more tonight. This time, I mean tonight!

Tai: Yeah, I did. ;)

Coincidentally, I had purchased the filter the day BEFORE I saw your thread, shortly before I decided to try my own pico. I wouldn't have thought to use the powerhead alone from it until I saw yours, though. I'm looking forward to the new set-up on that tank.

Okay, yesterday I noticed some rust-red spot-growth on the rocks and sand. I posted a thread about it over at Reef Discussion. Here's some ridiculously-out-of-focus pictures.

Sorry if they are large.

The params I tested today:

NH3/4+: 1.5 mg/l
NO2-: 3.3+ mg/l

It looks as if my cycle is progressing. I jump started it with a tad bit of urine (yeah), possibly too much because ammonia and nitrites shot through the roof for days so I did a mini water change yesterday (afterwards still no change in NH3), but then today the ammonia dropped and nitrites are still high so I think the cycle is moving, eh?

But the rust? What the deuce? It's obviously not cyano -- not nearly slimy or maroon enough. It's literally rust-orange. Any ideas?

looks like plain old Diatom algea. Its normal, im pretty sure. I think its a sign that things are going well. Haha i was laughing about the "human urine" post in here u did... way to show dedication! haha

As for stocking you'll probably wanna be much smarter then me. I bought a bunch of inverts and the bug some of my corals to no end (plate and meat). In such a small tank even things like sexy shrimp can be a daily bother to some corals. And something that I'm sure is obvious but I'll say it anyway, don't buy stuff you kinda like. With such a small tank it'll fill fast, and you can fill it with really nice. I've bought a few things I kinda liked but not really and it's not like I really have the space.

It looks as if my cycle is progressing. I jump started it with a tad bit of urine (yeah), possibly too much because ammonia and nitrites shot through the roof for days so I did a mini water change yesterday (afterwards still no change in NH3), but then today the ammonia dropped and nitrites are still high so I think the cycle is moving, eh?

Geez, I feel like such a slacker now, I used store-bought ammonia for my tanks :D

I only had lemon-scented ammonia, which is obviously a no-no, and I didn't feel like running to the store to get the clear stuff only for this. Plus I hate the scent of ammonia.

Umm not that urine is better, I guess? It's free, right?
I can still say I've never used any refined chemicals in my tank. For now.

Back