New Innovations

Nanook:

I was afraid of that. I am doing this as something of an experiment since no one I know has anything like these units.

This tank already has a closed loop with two Iwaki 100RT and motorized ball valves. The flow is OK, but I've always wanted more (common refrain, eh <G>?).

Hopefully these will help. If they are not sufficient, I'll get more or await larger units.

Thanks!

Mike

Yes, we are working on larger pumps, I saw a prototype last May but it was very crude and alot of bugs had to be worked out, it is larger physically, a larger transformer will be required and sourcing this has not been easy. I am going to hesitantly say by November this will be available. But this is going to be a new pump from the ground up and I am sure their will be many delays, the Stream pumps you have took 3 years to get from concept to finished product so I don't want to promise anything. The prototype pumped 5200 gph. With what you have on closed loop you could try it and see, a customer today was telling me on his 215 he has one 6110 and a Sea Swirl running off an Iwaki 70 and he feels he has plenty of flow to keep anything. I think two could do a 500 on their own, for a 700 2-4 should do the trick. My honest preference is more smaller pumps and a multicontroller, 4 pumps and a multi can do amazing things with tide simulation, sequential operation and surge mode. Two pumps don't enable you to do all the programs. Two big pumps and the multicontroller might save you a little bit of money but based on what I saw of the complexity of the new pump and the size, roughly 1.5" deeper, cost is likely to be pushing $400 a pump. From looking at it the size of the drive magnet required is going to be a real engineering issue for mass production.

Roger:

Cost isn't so much the issue...I just don't know anything more than I've read here and elsewhere to consider using the streams to begin with. I've never seen one in action. I haven't even told the owners of this tank that I'm getting this <G>.

I set this tank up about 7-8 years ago with what I thought was "state of the art." That didn't last long <G>. Even with the 4000gph and high pressure of the Iwaki's, I felt I needed more flow. There just wasn't any way short of a large number of intrusive powerheads.

I can generate pretty good flows and velocities across the 8' length of the tank, but there are still dead spots. I'm hoping that the streams will help. If it turns out that I need two more, I'll get those at a later date.

I hope to be setting up my own tanks again in the next few months. If Tunze does come up with larger units, I would likely trade out the ones I'm getting now and place them in my tank (a 280), and use the larger ones in the 700.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

First, I can assure you of the reliability of these pumps. Every effort has been made to ensure a long life and a rebuildable product. The most common problem of the past was a build up of calcium in the mag drive unit. This problem has been largely eliminated since March by increasing the magnet bore size and the size of the cooling port in the magnet, we now have a new record low for internal heat production and this is the prime cause of calcium build up, the water inside the pump gets hot, degasses and because of low CO2, calcium precipitates. In addition the plastic inside contains Teflon to make it somewhat non stick. At any rate a problem with the drive unit sounds an alarm and shuts down the power supply so permanent damage is highly unlikely. The driver is very robust and short of spilling water on it, it should last for several years, if needed every individual part of the pump can be replaced. On the large streams I will keep you posted, it is part of a project to produce very large pumps for returns, a large skimmer and of course a big stream. But as I said before, being a completely new type of pump, castings still have to be made, the prototype was made by hand gluing pieces together to form a bigger pump, a large magnet will have to be developed and this is tricky, you will notice most large drive magnets are two piece and frequently break where the pieces are joined, this would not be acceptable especially seeing as the propeller subjects the magnet to a fair amount of torque. A lot of issues have to be overcome but it is a frontburner project.

Roger:

I'd appreciate the updates as they happen.

Large reefs are nice, but there is little equipment suitable for them (understandable given their relative numbers). Such large tanks need more of everything, but doing that so far as regards water flow requires a very cluttered tank. Even with the large flow of your 6110 streams, I would need four, maybe 8 to do the job as I'd like. Starts making the tank a "mini-stream" tank instead of a "mini-reef" <G>. This is why I never used the turbelles or other such devices.

Thanks!

Mike

I understand what you are saying about the equipment and its obtrusiveness. We have two soutions on the drawing board both as Turbelle Stream accessories and perhaps it would be useful to gain some input from the users.

Option 1, a Stream pump in a PVC housing that couples to the aquarium through a 2" Bulkhead. Drawbacks are expensive to have such large holes drilled, holes must usually be drilled prior to construction. Difficulties in water proofing cord exit, most practical option is to string the cord out and through the tank which is not the most professional solution but it is the only 100% solution, especially with variations in pressure with placement.

Option 2, a cast Ceramic "live rock" with a swivel mount enabling various delivery angles for a Stream pump mounted inside. So far this has been our favored option just for ease of service and ready adaptability to any situation. While not popular in the US, blown ceramic rocks and natural limestone rocks are the norm in Europe due to the expense of live rock. When grown over it is almost indistinguishable and has a good porosity.

If you have any comments or additional suggestions please let me know and I will present this to my superiors.

Roger

Roger:

I think that option #1 would be unpopular for a variety of reasons. One, few people I've seen plan their tanks to that degree, and even if you did, how do you know for sure how many streams to use and where? Most reefs are a process, not static, and some degree of flexibility is needed even after the tanks is set up. Sometimes even for years after.

Option #2 would be more practical, though I'd have to see the ceramic rock to know if it would be useful, since it would have to mimic live rock quite closely. As you say, live rock is easier to optain here. I should think, though, that one could simply place some branch rock or such over your existing units.

My concerns about obtrusiveness is with the large numbers of powerheads necessary before. If your stream works as advertised, then few would be necessary, and I think most reefers can deal with that.

Mike

Back