New species of wood now available at Home Depot for the DIY stand builder

CuzzA

FYI, Home Depot is now carrying mahogany hardwood at select stores. This is great news for me as I'm about to begin skinning my steel stand plus other wood related aquarium projects.

I figured I would share for those of you that like to build furniture quality stands and canopies.

Happy Reefing!

If only their cuts didn't look like muhammad ali cut it blind with a reciprocating saw. Thanks for sharing though, which store did you see this at?

CuzzA - did you see it at a particular store or just a general announcement? Just curious if any stores locally will be carrying as I'm looking to upgrade my tank this fall and plan on building my own stand like I did for my current one.

CrazyEyes - that's why you just buy it there but do your own cutting at the house! If you don't have your own tools, I can always lend a hand!

Oh I know, I recently had some 3/4" birch cut and I asked the employee, "will it be a clean cut?" Yeah ofcourse, well he cut it and it look like he just broke it at the cut line, it was so torn up and trashed I had to tell him there was no way Im buying that.

Don't blame you! I think the problem is they use cross cut blades, not fine tooth finishing blades and the blade are probably very used and dull! I anyways I called my local Home Depot on 19 in Holiday and they said they are carrying it!

They should have enough an awesome selection. Some really cool stuff. Doesn't hurt to check HD either. I found a 1x8x8 board of birdseye maple labeled as "whitewood" for $7 a couple years ago.

Yes. I saw it at Home Depot in Holiday and WoodCraft is another source. Especially for stain. They carry General Finishes Gel Stain which is far superior to Minwax. Tampa Bay Millwork is another good source for lumber, especially trim. I haven't compared prices yet, but I suspect HD will be less for Mahogany than the others.

Last edited:
Intercity lumber in Tampa (between Ybor and Brandon) is also a great source for quality plywood in many different woods (including teak, mahogany, and walnut) and also carries some of the true exotic woods such as sapele and lacewood.

i do custom cabinets and have several distributors i get lumber from...i can get the lumber for you if need...going to be a lot cheaper than any big box store. Best if you can get a group order together, since there is a minimum of $300 for free deliver to my shop :)

Back