February Tank Of The Month (nitr8)

Wow! Impressive!

I'm in Tampa. Anytime you need to do some pruning let me know and I'll buzz by to take your scraps lol. I'm all LED too and struggling to find frags that thrive under led.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PM sent. I always have frags available. Small tank means constant pruning.

Almost all of my acros are doing very well under led only. I have added 6 t5's recently though.

Trader!!!! lol

Nice tank!!!

Thank you.

Seen this tank in person..it is really nice and will make you drool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Here are some build photos

Here are some build photos

Some pictures of the stand...

Test fit before adding the trim

Trim and door cleats added

Sump Design

Organized chaos

Ended up making dedicated drains. Removed SCWD and emergency drain now flows straight down into return section.

Progression shots

Progression shots

July 2013:

June/2014 (1 year):

August 2014:

January 2015:

March 2016:

May 2016 (3 years):

Sold some large colonies to make room for the others:

January 2017 (3 1/2 years):

Last edited:
Question about your LEDs - looks like you're running them closer together than the "recommended" space. Does this help with coral growth and shadowing?

Question about your LEDs - looks like you're running them closer together than the "recommended" space. Does this help with coral growth and shadowing?

I'm not sure about growth but it for sure helps with shadowing. LEDs are horrible for that. The light just doesn't bend like other types.

Wow! Congrats nitr8! That is a beautiful tank you have there! The corals and their colors are spectacular! This honor is very well deserved! Your tank can serve as an inspiration to many including myself.. Especially since most people don't have elaborate giant system. I setup a 90 gallon tank about 3 months ago with the intent of it being SPS dominant and I can only hope that in a couple years it's as beautiful and health as your is. Interestingly enough, it might just be the same dimensions.

Congrats, very nice looking tank!

I see a Nyos 160 and a Vertex, did you swap to the Nyos?
I've been eyeballing those.

Wow! Congrats nitr8! That is a beautiful tank you have there! The corals and their colors are spectacular! This honor is very well deserved! Your tank can serve as an inspiration to many including myself.. Especially since most people don't have elaborate giant system. I setup a 90 gallon tank about 3 months ago with the intent of it being SPS dominant and I can only hope that in a couple years it's as beautiful and health as your is. Interestingly enough, it might just be the same dimensions.

Thank you. My next tank I will go taller and deeper. Probably 30" x 30". I havent figured out the length yet but I'm thinking 8'.

That's a nice lookin tank and clean sump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. The powerhead in the sump keeps everything tidy.

awesome tank well deserving

Thank you.

Congrats, very nice looking tank!

I see a Nyos 160 and a Vertex, did you swap to the Nyos?
I've been eyeballing those.

Yea about a year ago now I guess. The vertex was a 250 and way over sized. Great skimmer but just too big. The Nyos is great. I dont have any complaints. Produces the same skimmate and very easy to dissamble and clean.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Wow... I aspire to have a tank that is this amazing...

Thank you.

Back