New to Anemones and I have some questions!!!!

RuggerReef

I have a 75 gal with a 20gal long sump. It has been up for about two months, and I want to get a couple clowns and at least one anemone. This is my second tank but I haven't tried my hand at nems or clowns. The questions I have are can one nem host more than one clown? I want ocellaris clowns, my kids would get a kick out of nemo, but I heard clarkii's might be better; does it matter what type of clownfish I get? My tank is an upgrade from a 20 gal high that I had for nearly a year and I have heard that some people recommend that you wait for a tank to be at least 6mons old before adding nems. Does it matter if I wait an 4 months or can I go ahead and get the anemones? My tank has been stable for the last 5 weeks. Thanks guys for your help :beer:

I would say no. Your tank is still considered new and probably not as stable as it seems. Even with the 20 gallons added from the previous tank. I'd still wait a couple more months. I transferred from a 70 down to a 56 and still lost a nem. They are sensitive animals.

And yes, depending on the nem, they can host 1~however many clowns. At one point my Ritteri (H.Magnifica) hosted 4 clowns.

It depends on the microbial situation of your tank.

You see, when a tank is 'stable', it most likely means one of two things:
1.) The microbial population is well established, and so it's taking care of any waste.
2.) The microbial population is not at all well establish, but without any new was going into the tank, there's no waste being produced, and so of course it'd seem stable.

Question is what's the case. Do you have a test kit, or can readily test the water?

Toss a piece of dead fish or something similar in, wait overnight then test the water. If the microbes are not well established, you'll see a large change in water parameters.

If your system seems to be able to take the dead fish well, well great!

Six months is a general suggestion which most likely result in a stable tank, but doesn't mean it HAS to be six months.

Microbes multiply exponentially, and if you allow them to reproduce constantly, they'll be established much quicker. And whilst certain other factors contribute - such as getting pH, kH and other non-wastage parameters right, the most important thing really is to have those microbes all over the place.

[EDIT]

An anemone can host multiple Clowns, provided it's large enough.

I transferred my bicolored dotty into the 75 about 4 weeks ago and I haven't had any ammonia spikes. Now I haven't had any deaths in my tanks but my water parameters has stayed consistent 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5-10ppm nitrate ph 8.0-8.4 and I keep my salinity at 1.025

I transferred my bicolored dotty into the 75 about 4 weeks ago and I haven't had any ammonia spikes. Now I haven't had any deaths in my tanks but my water parameters has stayed consistent 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5-10ppm nitrate ph 8.0-8.4 and I keep my salinity at 1.025

So, one fish in a 75 by itself? You are planning to add more fish right?

If that is the case, take it slow. Start adding fish little by little. Once you have added most of the fish you want and the parameters are still stable, then add the Anemone. I would start with a BTA or maxi mini.

What type of test kit are you using?

I use the API saltwater master test kit. I see what your saying. I just wanted to add the anemone before I get most the corals I want so it can establish itself and I can build around it. Could I add my clowns before the anemone or should I wait?

It should be the other way around. You can add corals now.. It should be ok. Adding a anemone too early might cause it stress in the long run. Although it looks ok, they can start to melt over time. Are you worried the anemone might move around too much?

You can add clowns before the anemone. If the anemone you add LATER will host the clowns the clowns will jump right in.

Yes. I don't want to have nice pieces coral in location that they like and thrive in then add an anemone and need to move then due to the anemone moving around and potentially killing the coral I have or acquire prior to adding the nem. I don't mind having to move the coral around to accommodate the nem but if I could get a GBTA in and have it find the best place for itself and then build around that, I think would be for the best. On the other hand I don't want to get a nem too early just to loose it.

When you don't decide to get a anemone get it before your clowns so they don't put more stress on it during acclimation which is typically a week.

I agree with the above– corals --> anemone --> clownfish. Also, a pair of clowns are a great idea since they're socialites.

Yes. I don't want to have nice pieces coral in location that they like and thrive in then add an anemone and need to move then due to the anemone moving around and potentially killing the coral I have or acquire prior to adding the nem. I don't mind having to move the coral around to accommodate the nem but if I could get a GBTA in and have it find the best place for itself and then build around that, I think would be for the best. On the other hand I don't want to get a nem too early just to loose it.

If you're planning on a nem/coral tank, I would recommend having 2 islands one for nems and one for corals. This is the way I did my tank.

When you don't decide to get a anemone get it before your clowns so they don't put more stress on it during acclimation which is typically a week.

The Anemones will host clowns when they are ready. Yes, they can stress out an Anemone even when it is acclimated but IME it does not matter adding the nem before or after the clowns.

As the others have stated, please hold off on the anemone. It is better to have things fine tuned, than clean up/out an entire tank (depending on the anemone)

Powerheads? Covers for them?

Back