New to the hobby, but am intrested in clowns.

Brett1031

Hello there, I'm intrested in starting my own tank and I would like to get a pair of clowns. I was just wondering what are all the requirement to do so? How should I set the tank up and so? What should I watch out for when trying to breed clowns? And what's the best way to keep them healthy. Also which kind of clowns are good to breed? Any help would be great, like I said I'm new to the hobby so I don't know that much.

do research on what type of clowns you want . what tank requirements they may have. if you hav a tank what size is it and what are the parameters ?

A 40g breeder with a sump attached would be a good starting point. Clowns breed pretty easily and frequently in home tanks but most end up as fish food shortly after they lay their eggs. Same is true if you only have a clownfish pair in your tank

I do not have any experience breeding clowns but I would like to learn the proper way too, and I'll most likey be getting a 10g reef tank with just the one pair of clowns for now until they do lay eggs.

I'm just shy of a year into the hobby and still consider myself very new and rely on a lot of information that lies within about a half dozen SW forums I read on a daily basis.

Fish will spawn when they are happy and healthy. You're not likely to have that with 2 clowns in a 10 gallon tank.

Like anything in this hobby, to do something successful it takes lots and lots of research. You'll get more help on specific questions if you can show first you did your own research. As helpful as this community is you are not likely to get many responses telling you exactly what you need to do. Those answers are out there in any number of forums. I'd recommend finding 3 or 4 SW forums that have boards devoted to breeding fish but start by reading all of the beginner set-up and how-to threads.

Will do thanks for the honestly though, and I have seen some breed in a 10g before but it just takes longer I guess.

Will do thanks for the honestly though, and I have seen some breed in a 10g before but it just takes longer I guess.

Clowns can be pretty downright mean (i.e territorial) so the more room the better even for a mated pair. Best of luck.

A reefer on my clubs local forum has a big thread on all the work that went into rearing a batch just for fun - very informative. There is a lot of work that goes into just obtaining food for the fry. I'll PM you a link if you want to check it out.

It sounded like it would be fun to try until I read that thread.

"Feed rotifers 6 times a day..." I'm out.

I mean yah having to feed them 6 times a day may be a pain, but in the end it will be worth it having all them baby clowns, I think I would be determined to do it. But thanks for the link, it's very helpful!

With a 10 gallon tank you are pretty much limited to ocellaris and percula. All others will get too large and even for ocellaris and percula 10 gallon is pushing it.
Also clowns don't spawn as easy as many other fish - I had dottybacks, marine bettas, sixline wrasses and dwarf angels spawn 2 weeks after putting the pair together.
I found it helpful to add a pair of dottybacks to get clownfish to spawn more quickly.

Also since a 10 gallon tank is to small for a host anemone I would recommend to give them a ceramic flowerpot as surrogate home. It will also make it easier to take the eggs out.

Though I would strongly advise to get at least a 20 gallon tank for the pair. You can use the 10 gallon for the larva. In case you get successful you may need a much bigger tank to raise the babies. I used custom build 30 gallon tanks for the larva and a wall of 40 gallon tanks to raise the little ones. I usually got 300 to 500 per percula and ocellaris clutch. With clarkii it was more in the neighborhood of 1000.

10gal will work as I have seen a lot of breeder setups with 10gal tanks. Use a flower pot for them to hide in, sleep and when ready, lay their eggs in.

Well since he wont update I will. He has a 20 long tank with a twin tube t5 light, two bubble tips, 9 of my baby clowns. He is going for a harem tank at the moment but in long run he will end up with a pair. Other or distressed clowns will come back to me. He wants to get more bta's. Filtration is one aquaclear rated for 50 gallons,and a jaebo r4 for ciculation. No skimmer yet but is doing water changes.

Back