New to the photography game

bshow24

Hello All,

My name's Bryce. Been a part of RC for a while now but finally decided I wanted to get DSLR and a lens and finally take pictures of my tank how they should be taken.

After reading through some of the posts I settled on a Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 Di Af macro lens. My next step is the camera. The place I bought it from said this is for Nikon SLRs, but in reading up it looks like it can fit a lot of different cameras? Any suggestions of some cheaper DSLRs that the lens will fit? All I need is basic abilities for the camera so I've looked at Nikon D3300 and D5200, but any others I should look into as well? I just want something that can take better photos than my phones macro lens!

Just for information, I also ordered an Avast Marine Top-Down Porthole to protect the lens and get even closer in the water.

From my reading on here it looks like I want to shoot photos in RAW then boot up a photo editing software and edit the WB in there, is that correct?

Honestly, if there are any suggestions, hints, tips, let me know. I'm definitely not a camera guy, but I know this reef tank will get me addicted to this too!

Hello All,

My name's Bryce.

Hey

After reading through some of the posts I settled on a Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 Di Af macro lens. My next step is the camera. The place I bought it from said this is for Nikon SLRs, but in reading up it looks like it can fit a lot of different cameras?

It will only mount to a Nikon camera unless you use an adapter. You can buy that lens with different mounts to fit most brands of cameras.

Nikon D3300 and D5200

Those are fine cameras. I don't know if the lens you bought has a motor, if not you won't have auto focus, but that's ok anyway.

I also ordered an Avast Marine Top-Down Porthole to protect the lens and get even closer in the water.

They work well.

From my reading on here it looks like I want to shoot photos in RAW then boot up a photo editing software and edit the WB in there, is that correct?

yep

Honestly, if there are any suggestions, hints, tips, let me know. I'm definitely not a camera guy, but I know this reef tank will get me addicted to this too!

Read all the stickys. You'll have to learn to use the camera before you go to far though.

Back