New yellow tang dying!

babyduke

75G tank, all water parameter in healthy range

Got a yellow tang about 2 1/2 weeks ago. For the first week, it remained shy in between rocks and didn't eat. I learned this wasn't an abnormal behavior. Sure enough after a week, it became very active and started eating like a pig. 2 nights ago, I had to rearrange some live rocks and water became sandy. I also did a water change (20%) while I was at it. Last night I noticed, he was staying at the top corner of the tank and not feeding. This morning, I saw it was stuck in the blower so I thought it was dead. Took it off and it's floating around uncontrollably. Had to come to work so I'm sure by the time I go home, it would be dead.

What are some possible reasons? He's not getting bullied by any fish. He's young and looks completely healthy and vibrant. I use RO water and other than the tank getting stirred up, there was no adversity.

sometimes stirring sand and liverock will release nasty stuff and im sure thats why hes not doing well. maybe do a water change and add carbon?

How long has the tank been set up? How did you acclimate the fish? What are the specific parameters of the tank? (i.e. nitrates, phosphates, temperature, salinity, ph, etc)

I just dropped one in my 36G QT tang. It is just one data point, but he is eating well. The scary thing is my Nitrides just spiked and I am doing massive water changes to fix the problem. Even with the Nitrides it is still eating well.

Tangs need a lot of water passing over their gills to get their required oxygen which is why they need larger tanks than most fish. I suspect the sand reduced the available oxygen and since tangs to not process the water for oxygen as well as your other fish it was the first to suffer. On a side note all fish should be quarantined before adding them to your tank, especially tangs as they are known to frequently carry disease.

To my surprise, he was semi ok when I got home and even nipped at some food. But I still doubt he'll make it far.

Tank's been set up for 7yrs. I do water tests regularly and acclimate properly with dripping. Like I said, he was shy the first week then started doing great, eating like a pig for the next 10 days. Temp steady 76, 1.025, zero ammonia, nitrate,phos, etc etc.

Run some carbon as stated in the first response and try to increase oxygen in the tank. Another wc can't hurt either.

Back