Newbie buying a complete 90 gallon setup - in over my head! Need help

are you going to actually see this tank in person before it's torn down? if so, take pics at different angles, close-ups, and that way when you're putting the tank back together, you can have an idea as to where everything was originally.

if you aren't gonna actually see the tank, ask the seller to send you some close-up pics.

if the owner is only an hour away, did you ask him to help you set it up so you don´t make any mistakes? it´s his baby, if you see how he disassembles it and the re assembles it, I bet you will learn a great deal about it.

if the owner is only an hour away, did you ask him to help you set it up so you don´t make any mistakes? it´s his baby, if you see how he disassembles it and the re assembles it, I bet you will learn a great deal about it.

Heck, I would even suggest offering him a few more bucks to get him to to this. Great idea.

As mentioned, this is a tip top end set up you're buying. Someone put a lot of time and money into assembling, balancing, and programming everything. It looks incredibly healthy. You are definitely diving into the deep end though. Virtually none of that is plug 'n play material. The apex alone takes a lot of people weeks to figure out how to even get online and programmed. Not to mention how to time your dosing and track your macro, and micro element consumption rates. All I can say is we are mostly all jealous, and it would be worth an extra bit of money if you had him at the very least do some basic training on how to use everything. Nice gear can crash a tank if mis used. Best of luck, and remember, even the highest end tanks get algae lol don't panic

I think the tank is a great price. I personally think I would sell a lot of the live stock except the rock a few fish. I doubt your taste will be the same as his. It's gonna be a learning curve involved here. A lot of people compare reefing to cars for what ever reason but I would never want to buy someone else's finished hot rod or custom car. I would prefer to do it my self. It's only my opinion I hope it goes great. The tank definitely looks good.

You should count with losing a few pieces, that's the way it usually goes. You drop something, misplace something or whatever, it's not a tragedy. Just make sure you plan, plan, plan well in advance. Get the water ready, plenty of buckets and towels. Most, if not all of the stuff should survive.

For help in LA, try The Aquarium store in Culver City, very friendly and good staff. http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-aquarium-culver-city-2

Yeah I am preparing myself, really want to try not to lose anything though...

This looks like a good deal. That said, you are really jumping in the deep end of the pool with this setup. The equipment is topflight but not particularly simple to use. If you have some time before you have to make the purchase, I'd start doing a great deal of homework by reading ALL of the New to the Hobby Stickies. That will provide a good primer on reef keeping and will likely include some basics on your equipment. I'd also look at the Neptune (Apex) and Ecotech (Radions) forums here.

Finally, there are great local reef clubs in your neck of the woods. Look in their forums and you'll likely find a large group of locals that will offer advice and assistance to a local newbie.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have gone through all the threads there and am pretty familiar with all the chemistry now. I'll have the guy teach me how to use all the tests and refractometers etc that he has. Hopefully as long as I can keep the parameters stable for the first week or so that will give me enough time to figure out how to use the rest of the equipment.

are you going to actually see this tank in person before it's torn down? if so, take pics at different angles, close-ups, and that way when you're putting the tank back together, you can have an idea as to where everything was originally.

if you aren't gonna actually see the tank, ask the seller to send you some close-up pics.

When I go on sunday I will have a chance to take pictures before we take it down together, hopefully I will be able to place all the corals back in the right place so they receive the same amount of light and flow they were before.

I don't think it will be possible for him to come over to my house, it's quite a drive for him and I know sunday afternoon he already has plans with family (ill be going early sunday morning). Ill ask him as much as I can when we are disassembling hopefully that will be enough. I'm still looking into maybe finding another experienced reefer that has knowledge of all the equipment to come help me set up, but I still have not found one yet. I'm going to make a post on the socal forums here and ask if anybody's available. What do you guys think is a fair amount to pay someone for maybe 2-3 hours setting it up?

As mentioned, this is a tip top end set up you're buying. Someone put a lot of time and money into assembling, balancing, and programming everything. It looks incredibly healthy. You are definitely diving into the deep end though. Virtually none of that is plug 'n play material. The apex alone takes a lot of people weeks to figure out how to even get online and programmed. Not to mention how to time your dosing and track your macro, and micro element consumption rates. All I can say is we are mostly all jealous, and it would be worth an extra bit of money if you had him at the very least do some basic training on how to use everything. Nice gear can crash a tank if mis used. Best of luck, and remember, even the highest end tanks get algae lol don't panic

I am getting more and more nervous about this whole thing haha. I am fine with any algae as long as the tank doesnt crash! :sad2: I'll make sure to have a list of questions to ask him such as how much he is dosing atm so I can continue on the same.

I think the tank is a great price. I personally think I would sell a lot of the live stock except the rock a few fish. I doubt your taste will be the same as his. It's gonna be a learning curve involved here. A lot of people compare reefing to cars for what ever reason but I would never want to buy someone else's finished hot rod or custom car. I would prefer to do it my self. It's only my opinion I hope it goes great. The tank definitely looks good.

I feel the same way, I almost wanted to just start my own tank, watch it get cycled, buy the live rock and go through all the steps, there's a kind of magic to it I feel seeing everything grow from the very beginning. I couldn't pass up this deal though! I'm thinking i'll eventually sell the bengaii cardinal and the purple tang, maybe some of the corals too. Right now I just wnat to keep everything alive.

Here's some pictures of the tank he sent me today.
2lglX2Q.jpg

jBbfGsz.jpg

LC8kEbP.jpg

hRH2Kxa.jpg

I really, really do not want to screw this up! Everything looks so nice. I am really nervous and am not sure if i'll be able to keep everything alive!

I asked this question earlier that I was hoping someone could answer, how exactly am i supposed to avoid having the corals get smushed while transport? I feel like if i had them all in a bigger tupperware container even if I put them all right side up they would move around and damage some of the corals. Is the only solution to try and bring a bunch of smaller tupperware containers? He said he has around 25 corals and im not sure how many live rocks. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks to everybody for all the help and concern, I will definitely keep you guys updated especially the day of setup. I hope you guys can help me get through the first day and answer any questions I might have then. Now to keep looking for a reefer to help, if you are in the area and are available this Sunday I will pay you a good sum to help me set up the tank. Please let me know and thanks again

I'm happy to say I found someone on the socal forum to help. He seems pretty experienced so I am a lot less nervous about setting it all up now. I'll make sure to take lots of pics during breakdown and setup and post here as time allows. Thanks everyone for all the help i really appreciate everyone who took their time to post here.

This is awesome, I am drooling with jealousy. And the fact that you have someone to walk you though this is really valuable. If you are able to document the day and share your experiences afterwards I know I would be really interested in seeing how you made out!

Hi guys, I was wondering in the first two pics i posted 2 posts ago, near the center of the pictures to the left, are those aiptasias? if so should i be looking for any aiptasia on the live rocks before setting them back up and trying to kill them?

'clean' and functional marine tank are somewhat contradictory terms. You can definitely overdo it. But kicking up a sandbed in moving is a real problem. And thank goodness for the SOCAL assist! You're doin' it right.
Ideally you would set up a plain saltwater bare tank to hold all specimens and another to hold all fish until you can get the rock and sand of this one installed and ok. These contain the bacteria that are your filters.
It's likely to undergo a cycle in about 5 days after setup in which it will produce lethal ammonia, then remove it.
It's going to need testing daily, and stand by with Amquel to help moderate that.
Corals actually tolerate ammonia spikes better than fish do... And see if you can give SOCAL the blue tang...that's a fish that should not be in that 'small' a tank; but for the rest, a brilliant find. We have a batch of stickies at the top of this forum that will tell you in a nutshell how the chemistry works, and what should happen.

It's a beautiful tank, and a great deal, however I would listen to what they are saying on here. I would ask the seller for suggestions on moving it, and ask for help from him. I would also ask if he keeps a log for the tank, most people with this level of tank do, if so make sure you get it, and if not make sure you start one, writing everything down will be a great way to keep track of everything. I would also make sure you have all the required test kits and make sure you use them frequently in the beginning. This forum will be a huge part of your success, there are some insanely knowledge and helpful people on here. I would also recommend setting it up and having a few days off of work so you can observe everything for at least 2 days, if something is wrong usually you can see it in the beginning, good luck

Hi guys, I was wondering in the first two pics i posted 2 posts ago, near the center of the pictures to the left, are those aiptasias? if so should i be looking for any aiptasia on the live rocks before setting them back up and trying to kill them?

First off, welcome to Reef Central!! Yes, I noticed that bunch of aptasia, too. After you get tank set back up, get a handful of peppermint shrimp & they should chow down on those aptasia quick; or get some Aptasia X. btw, AWESOME score! Good luck!

awesome you got another experienced reefer to help you with set up!!! can't wait to see "build" pics. wishing you the best of luck. it's a beautiful tank and you are SO gonna enjoy it!!

I pm'd you yesterday

Great find....it seems that you are very prepared for the task.

I agree with everything that MxReEfEr92 says even though some of it sounds harsh.

So I will put in my 2 sense I have rescued fish and coral for the last 14 years and have been in the hobby since 1991 for salt water and since 1986 for freshwater.

I have moved many many tanks in the last 12 years and even though i have had personal tank experience. there is always things that arise

If you really want to do this properly this is what I would suggest.

*first and best....find someone that can keep your live stuck until you are fully setup and functioning.

if thats not possible then like I said in my PM you can come and pickup a 110 reefready from my place and set it up at your place. it will come with a sump return pump heater and skimmer and metal base

1-once that is setup I would make my own salt water and have a RO/DI on hand and a couple of buckets of salt to make a lot more.

2-then I would get 20% of the water from the tank you are purchasing and put it in the new setup

3-while i am picking up the water i would test
-Alk
-Cal
-Mag
-Ph
-Salinity
of the existing tank and try to get the temp setup as close as possible

4- I would go and get all the live stuck and acclaim and transfer to temp setup.

5 Now i would go and get all the equipment and wash clean and set everything back up and working.

6- i would not touch the apex since its already programmed to that tank already I would just set everything back up and monitor the setup accept the dosing would be shut off during this period.

the sand and the base rocks need to be thoroughly washed

7- if there is no ammonia within 10 days then I would start transferring the fish and corals over to the display tank..

a couple of things that are concerning
in my pm I sent you my number and that I am available i just don't spend too much time on the forums. so call me to chat so I can tell you all the things that could go wrong and have gone wrong and what to be prepared for.

and you can pick up and keep what I am offering at no cost to you
If I was offered that I would pick up the phone and make the call..
just my thoughts.nothing personal since we have never met or spoken before

in this hobby It's a personal pet peeve when I see life go to waste due to many contributing factors as I have volunteered for a few oil spill clean ups so as hobbyist we are taking a part of a magnificent ecosystem and putting it in a space smaller than the tip of a needle in comparison.

So I am assuming that you are just as busy as me. and I will be looking forward to hear from you so you can come and pick up everything necessary to keep as much as you can alive at no cost..

cheers

First off, welcome to Reef Central!! Yes, I noticed that bunch of aptasia, too. After you get tank set back up, get a handful of peppermint shrimp & they should chow down on those aptasia quick; or get some Aptasia X. btw, AWESOME score! Good luck!

Thanks! Hopefully I will be able to take care of this setup like it deserves, it would be a shame if anything died. I will definitely get the ppermint shrimp as soon as my tank is through the mini cycle and ready for all the livestock. How many shrimp would you recommend for a tank this size?

Good luck. If it was me I would try to sell or trade all the live stock and rock to a LFS or any local reefers. Then you could start the tank from scratch and learn to maintain the system. Tryn to move an entire system and maintain the livestock is no easy task. Def try to get as much help as possible contact reef rescue if u have already looks like he could be a big help

Not sure how much of an aiptasia infestation is in the tank, but I'd start w/ around 10 peppermint shrimp, maybe more for that size system. They could be part of your CUC right away after mini-cycle.

i think you are a bit in over your head... i suggest to either sell all the livestock and corals... you can make some good money back on them...

then start new...

most of the hard corals most likely won't survive without experience... its not easy and its a lot of money to waste...

sell it all and then whoever you sell it to, ask them to give you a frag of the pieces once you are ready....

you are spending 3k, and you should be able to recoup a few hundred to 1k+ on just the corals...

i know you want it all at once, but this hobby is not forgiving and teaches expensive lessons...

even for an experienced person moving the tank, it is very difficult to keep everything alive...

with the sandbed being disturbed, it could start a full cycle and that would pretty much kill all the hard corals within a few days...

this hobby is all about baby steps...

Back