Next meeting?

SpikeDangles

Is there going to be a meeting soon? I feel like it's been a while.

After two years I'm finally approaching the day when I can get some water in my system and I'm constantly reading about reef stuff. It'd be nice o hear about it from people instead of reading it lol.

a6c86d476cc24c54b00c18f3878964fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mike, can you show me more of your internals to your system? The stand and canopy look great. What kind of overflow are you using? Skimmer etc.

That stand looks siiiick! :D I need inspiration as I'm thinking of building my own stand for my 57 rimless.

Hey Mike, can you show me more of your internals to your system? The stand and canopy look great. What kind of overflow are you using? Skimmer etc.

I made a coast to coast weird that travels through three holes in the back of the tank to an external overflow box. I use the bean animal drain method to go straight through the top of the stand to the sump.

578aa8182c34053882e2105a04e53344.jpg

I have an Aquamaxx co-1 skimmer and I'm using the Jebao DC return pump that I bought from you a while back at the FFM. I have a three outlet manifold plumbed into the return. I don't have any media reactors yet and I'm not even sure if I'm going to use them, but if I decide to I'm all set up for an easy installation. I'm going to use a Tunze Osmolator for ATO and a 5.5 gallon tank for a reservoir. I blacked the tank out with plastidip and made a two piece lid out of glass that I brought to a high polish.

f0ef9b15d220a5f9a2587ea0301a3ba1.jpg

f8d60eeb39de33466f74a8f54187fb95.jpg

Lights are a 3ft mars hydro Chinese black box and 2 24w ATI blue plus bulbs in a retro fit kit from BrS

9f64150c90e5ce494061a0673d41aeeb.jpg

PM me if you have any other questions!

Mike - That looks awesome! I am going to host the next meeting - I think June 11th, but I am working on that now.

Last edited:
Some mighty fine looking plumbing work - puts my rats nest of pipes and cords to shame :(

Ha! For what it's worth, only the return pump is in the sump right now. Once I have everything in there it won't be as clean looking

I'm digging the pipes going through the top of the stand. I'm going to have to borrow that idea in my upcoming tank build.

Are you going to put reflectors are the T5 lights in your canopy?

Was the stand top pre bought or did you build it? If bought where did you buy it from? If made what did you use - i.e. Materials, wood sealer etc?

Did you water proof the electronics box?

Any aspirations to add an Apex in the future?

Looks great!!

I'm digging the pipes going through the top of the stand. I'm going to have to borrow that idea in my upcoming tank build.

Are you going to put reflectors are the T5 lights in your canopy?

Was the stand top pre bought or did you build it? If bought where did you buy it from? If made what did you use - i.e. Materials, wood sealer etc?

Did you water proof the electronics box?

Any aspirations to add an Apex in the future?

Looks great!!

Thanks brotha. I do have reflectors on the T5 now, I snapped those pics when I first turned it on. I had a cabinet maker make me the top of the stand out of a piece of thick cherry that was in my fathers storage spot since I could remember. I stained and sealed it with about 10 coats of poly.

The electronics box has those plexiglass pieces that slide. That's about it for water proofing. Not humidity proof though. I intend to keep stand doors open when I'm not at home and at night, with a fan that will be in there, I hope that's enough. If you look on the back wall of the stand I put in two louvered vents that are plastic. Looks better than a hole.

As much research and time that I have put into this build, I'm novice with corals and have little knowledge of fish- I'm going controller free and softy dominant for a while. I will eventually add some LPS and a monti or two. I wasn't planning on adding a controller though. I have a ranco for the heater and tunze ATO. Not sure I quite need the controller- but we'll see lol

I have absolutely no experience
Dosing and the close friends I have in the hobby also never dosed anything but kalk via ATO. I'm going to cross that bridge when I get there, for now I have a decent amount of research on it. Thinking I might do bionic untill it gets too expensive.

Back