night diving experience?

:thumbsup: to what Andrew said.

We have done about 40 night dives when we lived in Key West. You do see a lot of cool and different things. The problem for me with night diving is I really can't see around me. I always get the creepy feeling that I'm being watched. Even on daytime dives I have a habit of glancing around to see what might be there.

This might have something to do with that I was once followed by a huge moray eel and a barracuda. Both of them a lot bigger than me and this was on daytime dives. For the barracuda I never wore anything shiny so I figured he was just curious. There were about 6 - 7 of them at channel marker 32, but only one got close enough that I could poke at him with my tickle stick. He was scary looking. He had large fishing hooks on his side and mouth with fishing line hanging down. Some scars also. Very unsettling. Swam backwards to the boat with my head in the water to watch him as he followed me. Freaked me out.

As for the moray, I was at Sand Key. There are some canyons/crevices which I was diving. The moray was down on the sand and I was about 10 - 15 feet above him. He started following me. I would turn around and so would he. I did that 3 times. After that I crossed over the reef thinking I would be ok. NOT! That fricken thing did too. He had to go about 15 feet up to get over the reef. After that I surfaced with my head still in the water. Again I swam backwards to the boat keeping an eye on him. He stayed at the top of the reef and didn't follow me anymore, but there was no way I was getting back in the water. Every time we would go back there my eyes were always peeled looking for him. Luckily, I never saw him again.

Not to scare anyone, but that is why night dives creep me out. These two instances were the only two out of tons of diving and snorkeling. I didn't really work for the 3 years that we lived there so I was in the water a lot. Usually 3 - 5 days a week. I literally lived in it. So the chance of this happening to you I would think is very, very slim.

Go out and enjoy yourself and discover a whole new world. You will love it.

You know it's not the fact that I'll like it or not like it I just want to do one to say I've done it and day dream about the experience lol. I love diving and I hope one day I'll be able to jump in during sun setting hours and just see the waters go dark from there. I don't think I can jump in around 10pm for a real night dive at least yet. I'd love planning something around 7:30pm come up at 8:30pm 9ish

Back