Nitrate issues.....still

hounddog01

My nitrates are still high. Over 100. I have removed all rock. Stirred the sand bed replaced 98% of the water. At the time of the water change they droped from 300+ to 50. I added new dry rock and did a couple more 25% water changes. Nitrates were still going up. No fish in the tank. I decided to try the AZ-NO3 product. Using it as directed and after 15 days I'm still over 100. My skimmer is working I am wet skimming like a tea color. It says 30 days on the bottle my question is should I see something now or does it take longer and drop fast once it takes hold. I have used 2 bottles and have 2 more to go.

Also since everything has been changed but the sand. Could that be my issue? I have been fighting this for 8 months I am starting to think I need to just start all over but can't afford to do that. My rodi water Is 0 tds top off is from the rodi. Nothing in the tank but a few snails and crabs. I'm just at a loss been doing this for 15 years and never had this issue.

My nitrates are still high. Over 100. I have removed all rock. Stirred the sand bed replaced 98% of the water. At the time of the water change they droped from 300+ to 50. I added new dry rock and did a couple more 25% water changes. Nitrates were still going up. No fish in the tank. I decided to try the AZ-NO3 product. Using it as directed and after 15 days I'm still over 100. My skimmer is working I am wet skimming like a tea color. It says 30 days on the bottle my question is should I see something now or does it take longer and drop fast once it takes hold. I have used 2 bottles and have 2 more to go.

Also since everything has been changed but the sand. Could that be my issue? I have been fighting this for 8 months I am starting to think I need to just start all over but can't afford to do that. My rodi water Is 0 tds top off is from the rodi. Nothing in the tank but a few snails and crabs. I'm just at a loss been doing this for 15 years and never had this issue.
I hate to be over simplistic but
What test kit are you using?

I have 2 salfert kits. Neither is expired and a cheap one. Not expired. All 3 read close to te same.

I'd test the nitrite level, as well. Nitrite can confuse nitrate test kits.

How much food is going into the tank per day? What type of filtration media does the system have? Bio-balls and other artificial media often seem to raise the nitrate level in a system.

I have 2 salfert kits. Neither is expired and a cheap one. Not expired. All 3 read close to te same.
A lot depends on the light in the room and how you are reading the chart. I've found the hard way that the only accurate way to read the results is to slide the vial over the colour chart. When you can't see the difference in two colours then that's your level. It can make the difference between 1 and a reading of 100.
I'll bet that is your problem here
The other way to check is with a cheap API nitrate kit

I think I'm reading it right but will try the API kit I have. There is nothing in the tank. No fish. I do not feed the tank. The fish are in a Rubbermaid garbage can and have been for 5 weeks. I just don't get it.

I think I'm reading it right but will try the API kit I have. There is nothing in the tank. No fish. I do not feed the tank. The fish are in a Rubbermaid garbage can and have been for 5 weeks. I just don't get it.

I think you will find it is the reading of the test kit. There is just not enough fluid(1 ml) to do the test the way they instruct you to.

Another quick and dirty way, freshwater test strips may also give you an idea about nitrite and nitrate levels, I consider its results in 0-2 scale (no - a bit - a lot), but still providing another reference to ensure. I am using JBL 6in1.

Back