Noise rattle from 9010 cup

pgts

Hi, I am sure some people have the same experience with their new 9010, but I have been operating my 9010 in-sump without the extension kit for around a year now. However, the rattle noise from the cup + cap is driving me nuts lately.. even with a glass top over my sump. The noise has always been there, but I have been tapping or rotating the cup and cap sometimes quiet the rattle down a bit. However, due to evaporation, water dew gets to the neck of the cup and cap, it will just rattle louder again. Is there a way that I can stop the noise? It is more of a humming sound from the motor shaking the cup and cap.. since the cup just sit freely over the box and the cap doesn't screw on tight.

From my experience this is greatly reduced or eliminated by just turning the pump so the wide side profile where the cord exits faces the bottom. This reduces the vibration transmission.

Thanks for your reply, but I am not sure what do you mean by " turning the pump so the wide side profile where the cord exits faces the bottom "? the 9010 sits upright as it should, I don't understand rotating it like a carousel can eliminate the noise?
Tony

If you look at the pump it is sort of a rectangle with a circular base. If the narrow end of the rectangle faces the bottom, more pump touches the base and more vibration is transmitted. If you turn it so the wider portion faces down, much less touches the base as it is shorter on that profile. This also alters the geometry of the flow somewhat so there is less vibration, it has to do with the turbulence before the exit nozzle since the water is spinning and then launched out straight, there is a definite sweet spot for the rotation to linear transition to occur in the impellers path.

Thanks Roger. You are a great help to everyone! I know what you are talking about now. I will give it a try when I get home tonight. :) Btw, will it affect the efficiency in skimming?

No, it should have no effect on skimming, though it may improve the skimming if the bottom cover is bulged out by the pump at present.

Back