Noisy Vortech DrySide FIX!!

thanks , could you post the link where you got your bearings please,

My local bearing house had them on the shelf. its not a weird bearing..

I also ordered mine off Sneeze Bay because they were only 1-4$ verses 15$ each locally........ (as far as ordering over the internet, go ahead and find a reputable bearing brand. its not worth the 1-2$ difference in a cheap verses quality bearing. plus you will get better precession and less noise. just a fact)

but RC shops keep them as well. just make a few calls and you will be surprised at where you can get them. (i seriously thought they would be hard to find.... man, was i mistaken.
The hard part was crossing the bearing numbers over.... after a while, i had to get out my Digital Calipers and guess what..... its a local bearings.

the bearings on the Original shaft were a funky brand and thats what caused the hard cross over...

funny that so many of them fail in this way ,you would think that for the money they would work forever but they dont and its quite disappointing to me as my $50 tunzies and korallia's work for years trouble free .
just my 2 pennies
$50 Tunze? Which model would that be? The closest equivalent model is a 6105. This forum is also chock full of people with Koralia problems. Nothing works forever and worn dryside bearings on a Vortech are extremely rare. This is actually the first one I've seen posted. I ran Tunzes for years and liked them. They didn't last "forever" either. The impeller assembly wore and had to be replaced every year or so. Once the body housing gets worn eough, you have to replace the whole pump, but that is also many years down the road.

Last edited:
wow... when I had a dry side make horrid noise I tried to see if something was "stuck" as well, unfortunately I couldn't get the magnet off as I couldn't get the magnet to hold still while I dried to unscrew the screw.

Either way its quite disappointing to see that this is a 100% fixable thing yet Ecotech is charging massive bucks for a replacement, and then probably just rebuilding the ones you mail in hoping they'll fix (yet end up telling you it needs to be completely replaced)

wow... when I had a dry side make horrid noise I tried to see if something was "stuck" as well, unfortunately I couldn't get the magnet off as I couldn't get the magnet to hold still while I dried to unscrew the screw.

Either way its quite disappointing to see that this is a 100% fixable thing yet Ecotech is charging massive bucks for a replacement, and then probably just rebuilding the ones you mail in hoping they'll fix (yet end up telling you it needs to be completely replaced)

If you use a Razor and take the sticker off the back of the DrySide, you can see a Flat Head area to put a screwdriver. this is the shaft that goes through the motor and to the magnet. so you can use a Flathead to hold the shaft from turning, and a fillips on the other side to unscrew the screw that holds the magnet on. i was able to just push on the magnet and give a quick turn on the screw and mine broke loose. but i can see where some could be hard to unscrew.

just another tip if needed.

as far as being expensive, some people have said that if you mail in your dryside for a new one, they will sell you the new one for 160$ish but that is just hearsay. (im just too broke to afford that. )

Ntn bearings are hard to find,i tried google it could not find it, is there any other brand that as good? I saw some other brands on ebay, but not sure about ebay brands, THANKS IN ADVANCE

NTN bearings were just local.

i was looking at bearings on freezebay, and if you type 698-2rs. there are a few options. one of which says ceramic bearing.
if i were to do it again, i would probably try one of those out. with metal on metal, there is heat and expansion and contraction. with ceramic, there is way less friction due to more precise and they are lubed and have dual urethane shields. this will keep the bearing lubricated. not just prevent contamination.

but thats "IF" i have to do it again.
i would like to have another one local that i could do a comparison with the ceramic bearing verses my standard steel shielded bearing.

maybe next time.

and, before you complain, yes its a 12$ bearing verses a .99 cent one. but its still cheaper then 220$ and you will need 2 different bearings so 20$ is still better then 220$

This is a common question nowadays when talking about machine tool spindles. Although most manufacturers will tell you the ceramic ball has far more advantages than the steel ball. In most cases that may be true, but is it necessary for your application? Quantum Precision is not looking to sell you the most expensive bearing for your application. We’ll work with you to provide a bearing that will perform under your conditions, and at a reasonable cost.

Provided below are som FAQ's about ceramic bearings vs. steel.

What Is A Hybrid Bearing?
A hybrid bearing is made up of metal rings and silicon nitride ceramic balls with lubricant and retainer appropriate to the type of bearing and application. The silicon nitride balls typically allow for higher speeds, lower operating temperatures, extended lubricant life and many other performance enhancements.

Why Do Ceramic Silicon Nitride Balls Improve Bearing Performance?
Compared to steel balls, Ceramic balls are lighter, smoother, stiffer, harder, corrosion resistant, and electrically resistant. These fundamental characteristics allow for a wide range of performance enhancements in bearings.

Are Ceramic Balls Brittle and Fragile?
Silicon Nitride ceramic balls do not have as high a toughness or ductility as steel. But, due to their high strength, stiffness, and microstructural make-up, they are actually much more durable than steel balls.
Compare The Material Properties of Silicon Nitride Balls to Steel Balls.

Ceramic balls are >60% lighter, >50% stiffer, >70% smoother, and much, much harder than steel balls. Ceramic balls have >100X better rolling contact fatigue life in comparison to Vacuum Melt 52100 Steel.

What Applications Use Hybrid Bearings?
The most common application today is angular contact bearings for high speed machine tool spindles. End-users are seeking higher speed, longer life, reduced lubrication, and decreased total operating costs. Ceramic balls are used in a very wide range of applications from dental handpieces to surgical saws to wing-flap actuators to electric motors.

Are Ceramic Balls More Expensive Than Steel Balls?
Yes. In direct comparison, Ceramic balls are clearly more expensive than steel balls. BUT, when assembled into a hybrid bearing, the price of the bearing assembly is actually quite competitive when compared to all steel bearings. On a Total Operating Cost basis, hybrid bearings typically always pay for themselves many times over in extended life time, enhanced performance, or increased durability. Over the past 15 years, Ceramic balls have steadily become more and more affordable for a wider range of applications as the volumes have climbed.

How Do You Make a Ceramic Ball?
Ceramic balls are made from an ISO-9000 certified process starting with micron sizes powder which is compacted and then densified at extremely high pressures and temperatures. The densified blanks are then precision finished using free-abrasive diamond lapping procedures. Grade 3 and 5 precision levels are typical in high volume batch sizes.

How Are Precision Balls Specified?
Ceramic balls (and any other finished ball from all materials) are specified by using ABMA, ISO, JIS, ASTM or other standards. The sphericity, surface finish, lot diameter variation, etc…. are precisely defined by these standards into various “Grade” levels. The highest typical Grade is 3 (denoting 3 millionths sphericity or better), then 5, then 10, etc….. Bearing companies use different grades depending on the bearing precision and application.

How Much Longer Life Can Be Expected From Hybrid Bearings Vs. Steel?
This is a tough question. Generally speaking, one can expect 2 to 5 times longer life for most applications, but it is highly dependent on operating conditions, bearing design, etc….

What Ceramic Ball Sizes Are Available?
This is an easy question. Ceramic balls are readily available from 0.5 mm (about 1/64”) to 25mm (1”) in a variety of ball grades. Ceramic balls can be made up to 3” (75mm) in diameter. The most popular sized balls tend to be from 1mm to 13 mm in terms of quantity used.

How Can I Buy Ceramic Balls?
We’re so glad you asked!! You can use the contact us inquiry page on this web-site

What Are The Draw-Backs Or Limitations To Using Ceramic Balls?
We’d like to say there are none, but Ceramic balls cannot be used for every application. A stiffer ball can increase contact stresses if raceway curvatures are not adjusted. For extremely high load applications, silicon nitride balls may not be suitable since they may accelerate steel raceway fatigue. Also, silicon nitride balls are more costly than steel balls and while they continue to be more and more affordable, they may not be economical for every application despite longer life and enhanced performance.

(taken from quantumprecisiongroup dot com)
nice read. and it really makes me want to trade out my new steel bearings for a ceramic hybrid or full ceramic)

Thanks for this usefull info. Sounds much better than the stock bearing that comes with the pump.

This is a common question nowadays when talking about machine tool spindles. Although most manufacturers will tell you the ceramic ball has far more advantages than the steel ball. In most cases that may be true, but is it necessary for your application? Quantum Precision is not looking to sell you the most expensive bearing for your application. We'll work with you to provide a bearing that will perform under your conditions, and at a reasonable cost.

Provided below are som FAQ's about ceramic bearings vs. steel.

What Is A Hybrid Bearing?
A hybrid bearing is made up of metal rings and silicon nitride ceramic balls with lubricant and retainer appropriate to the type of bearing and application. The silicon nitride balls typically allow for higher speeds, lower operating temperatures, extended lubricant life and many other performance enhancements.

Why Do Ceramic Silicon Nitride Balls Improve Bearing Performance?
Compared to steel balls, Ceramic balls are lighter, smoother, stiffer, harder, corrosion resistant, and electrically resistant. These fundamental characteristics allow for a wide range of performance enhancements in bearings.

Are Ceramic Balls Brittle and Fragile?
Silicon Nitride ceramic balls do not have as high a toughness or ductility as steel. But, due to their high strength, stiffness, and microstructural make-up, they are actually much more durable than steel balls.
Compare The Material Properties of Silicon Nitride Balls to Steel Balls.

Ceramic balls are >60% lighter, >50% stiffer, >70% smoother, and much, much harder than steel balls. Ceramic balls have >100X better rolling contact fatigue life in comparison to Vacuum Melt 52100 Steel.

What Applications Use Hybrid Bearings?
The most common application today is angular contact bearings for high speed machine tool spindles. End-users are seeking higher speed, longer life, reduced lubrication, and decreased total operating costs. Ceramic balls are used in a very wide range of applications from dental handpieces to surgical saws to wing-flap actuators to electric motors.

Are Ceramic Balls More Expensive Than Steel Balls?
Yes. In direct comparison, Ceramic balls are clearly more expensive than steel balls. BUT, when assembled into a hybrid bearing, the price of the bearing assembly is actually quite competitive when compared to all steel bearings. On a Total Operating Cost basis, hybrid bearings typically always pay for themselves many times over in extended life time, enhanced performance, or increased durability. Over the past 15 years, Ceramic balls have steadily become more and more affordable for a wider range of applications as the volumes have climbed.

How Do You Make a Ceramic Ball?
Ceramic balls are made from an ISO-9000 certified process starting with micron sizes powder which is compacted and then densified at extremely high pressures and temperatures. The densified blanks are then precision finished using free-abrasive diamond lapping procedures. Grade 3 and 5 precision levels are typical in high volume batch sizes.

How Are Precision Balls Specified?
Ceramic balls (and any other finished ball from all materials) are specified by using ABMA, ISO, JIS, ASTM or other standards. The sphericity, surface finish, lot diameter variation, etc"¦. are precisely defined by these standards into various "œGrade" levels. The highest typical Grade is 3 (denoting 3 millionths sphericity or better), then 5, then 10, etc"¦.. Bearing companies use different grades depending on the bearing precision and application.

How Much Longer Life Can Be Expected From Hybrid Bearings Vs. Steel?
This is a tough question. Generally speaking, one can expect 2 to 5 times longer life for most applications, but it is highly dependent on operating conditions, bearing design, etc"¦.

What Ceramic Ball Sizes Are Available?
This is an easy question. Ceramic balls are readily available from 0.5 mm (about 1/64") to 25mm (1") in a variety of ball grades. Ceramic balls can be made up to 3" (75mm) in diameter. The most popular sized balls tend to be from 1mm to 13 mm in terms of quantity used.

How Can I Buy Ceramic Balls?
We're so glad you asked!! You can use the contact us inquiry page on this web-site

What Are The Draw-Backs Or Limitations To Using Ceramic Balls?
We'd like to say there are none, but Ceramic balls cannot be used for every application. A stiffer ball can increase contact stresses if raceway curvatures are not adjusted. For extremely high load applications, silicon nitride balls may not be suitable since they may accelerate steel raceway fatigue. Also, silicon nitride balls are more costly than steel balls and while they continue to be more and more affordable, they may not be economical for every application despite longer life and enhanced performance.

(taken from quantumprecisiongroup dot com)
nice read. and it really makes me want to trade out my new steel bearings for a ceramic hybrid or full ceramic)

you guys should honestly look into the swiss R/C bearings. You cant find a better bearing, and could likely pick up the set for 35.00-40.00 but they are the best bearings that you can buy, period. (this coming from an R/C guy)

I used to be into radio control as well. That's the reason why i say there gotta be a bearing out there that's better then the stock Vortech ones. Mass manufactured items rarely utilities the best components.

you guys should honestly look into the swiss R/C bearings. You cant find a better bearing, and could likely pick up the set for 35.00-40.00 but they are the best bearings that you can buy, period. (this coming from an R/C guy)

Ok, bearing experts, what would be the ultimate in quiet bearings for the Vortech? Would they make a substantial difference in a dry side with bearings that are in good shape, not worn out?

Wow this is just awesome!! Thanks for posting and in such detail :thumbsup:

The bearings on my gen 1 vortech are also shot and are super noisy. Lucky I got it for a smokin deal secondhand but I hate the noise so I only run it at just barely higher than the lowest setting. Any higher and it sounds like it is going to rattle apart.

Now to the fun part. I know zero about these, I have taken mine apart to see what the issue is at the insistence of a friend who was dying to see the insides of it. We couldn't find anything amiss but he suggested that it might be the bearings. Sadly, I didn't even know what the bearings looked like and was confused by your "before" and "after" bearings replacement photos (after some quick googling I have it figured out).

However, I'd like to try the ceramic bearings and don't know how to go about ordering them without specific part numbers. Can I just order them via the size you have listed? They're kind of pricey which is fine but I hate wasting money (one is $12 and the other is $18 from an auction site) and I have no local store to shop at.

For the ceramic ones I'm seeing:

607-2RS Bearing 7 x 19 x 6
698-2RS Bearing 8 x 19 x 6

The brand is VXB Ball Bearings and they are ABEC-5 quality

Are these correct? Just wanted to check before I order.

Thanks
Christy :)

607-2RS Bearing 7 x 19 x 6
698-2RS Bearing 8 x 19 x 6

the
"698 - XXX"
and
"607 - XXX"

are the bearing numbers. the letters after the number describe the seals/sheilds that they come with.
there is no letter or number for ceramic. its the same number, just labeled as ceramic.

the size of the 607 bearing is " 7 X 19 X 6 "
and
the size of the 698 bearing is " 8 X 19 X 6 "

i hope this helps explain to everyone what they need.

the
"698 - XXX"
and
"607 - XXX"

are the bearing numbers. the letters after the number describe the seals/sheilds that they come with.
there is no letter or number for ceramic. its the same number, just labeled as ceramic.

the size of the 607 bearing is " 7 X 19 X 6 "
and
the size of the 698 bearing is " 8 X 19 X 6 "

i hope this helps explain to everyone what they need.

Perfect!!! Thanks! :beer:

Interesting read. I pulled mine apart a while back and found the same problem with the bearings.
All in all the internals are pretty basic.

Noisy dry side new MP10

Noisy dry side new MP10

I have 2 MP10s I just bought new and 1 was a lot louder than the other. Sent it in and in less than a week it came back and is dead silent even at 100%. The other one "whirrrs" at 100% but is barely noticeable. I'll probably send that one back in a bit too. Wonder if they just drop in better bearings for the fix when sending back?

A bit of a pain but really like these....and very good customer service...

Back