Noisy Vortech DrySide FIX!!

just finished taking mine apart(mp10). it seems that both bearings are the 607 bearing but im going to head to the bearing store tomorrow and see what they have. I also googled the part number and it would seem R/C bearing are also the same size and the hobbie town in my neak of the woods carries the novarossi ceramic bearings so if i cant find the standard bearings i might go ahead and get the ceramics. After i finsish this completely ill post the how to but its really just the same as the mp40 only difference is that the base plate that mounts to the glass is actually glued on instead of screwed.

Keep in mind the grade of the bearing has as much or more importance in determining the quality of a bearing as does the material it is made of. Bearings can be graded for their races as ABEC 1, 3, 5, 7 where 7 is the best, but with 5 often being the best cost/performance grade, or for their bearings. Bearing grades are a measurement of the roundness of a bearing with the lower numbers (e.g. 25) being better than a higher number (often 1000 or more). In addition "ceramic" may mean ceramic balls in a steel race or ceramic on ceramic. Ceramic bearings are not by default better than steel, but high grade ceramic bearings are "better" than high grade steel in some application, but primarily in high heat, high speed, high load, applications. know the grade of the bearing before shelling out extra money for the hype. Comparing equally graded steel to ceramic, the ceramic wins out in some applications for weight, resistance (less lubrication needed), but are a wash in many application where steel is cheaper and more than adequate. A lot of cheap low-grade ceramic bearings are sold to people who simply want to believe.

Great post and idea. As mentioned, bearings DO go bad over time. They're a part that wears and there isn't anything you can really do about it. Great info from Hawkdl2. As well, note there are sealed and greaseable (open) bearings as well. It's my hunch sealed would work a little better (as you don't want to be tearing it apart to grease all the time), but again they won't last forever.

Quality WILL matter and bad or poor quality bearings will grind, not be smooth, and make a ton of noise.

For local pickup, look for any hobby shop, specifically one that has remote control cars (the hobby where I learned more about bearings than I ever want to). Depending on the brands the shop carries, they may have either metric or standard, and will vary in quality. If the measurements are correct, the only thing you need to tell them is:

No flange, sealed (vs open) and metric 7 X 19 X 6 and 8 X 19 X 6.

Last edited:
A lot of cheap low-grade ceramic bearings are sold to people who simply want to believe.
I wish I would have seen this a couple hours ago. I ordered 2 ceramics off Ebay for about $30 total. I hope they are not the cheap low-grades. They are both ABEC-5 so hopefully it wont be to bad.

Keep in mind the grade of the bearing has as much or more importance in determining the quality of a bearing as does the material it is made of. Bearings can be graded for their races as ABEC 1, 3, 5, 7 where 7 is the best, but with 5 often being the best cost/performance grade, or for their bearings.

Swingrrr, you should be ok with a grade 5 bearing.

Can you guys describe "noisy" a little better. I just bought two MP10s and when the ramp up and down, you can hear them...its more of a whirrr than anything else. No rattle, unless they are not lined up correctly. Just the sound of the motor whirring up to speed and back down again. I wonder if I should look into cracking these things open to put some new bearings in there. Dead silent to me means no whirring sound, no any sound....

SaltyFin - please post a write up when you get a chance.

LUV951, a friend of mine has a new MP10W (non ES) and it does make some noise. after a few weeks, it has quieted down.
Vortech pumps will never be DEAD silent like a full internal pump. this is because there is no water to hide or muffle the sounds of the pumps.

i did and used ceramic bearings first didnt like the sound of it , then changed those to steal bearings, now it woks great and i cant even hear it,:cool:

really!! thats very interesting to know.
do you think they were just cheap ceramic bearings, or needed to break in, or do you not know? (very curious)
also, do you think it could be from installing them? maybe ceramic bearings are too delicate to be pressed on?

Back