Nuisance Algae ID

farfromsea

Hi all,

I hadn't seen this algae before. I just got back from traveling from work and the tank turned into a jungle in the time I was gone.

Mostly on the glass and sand.
gha? Hopefully not Bryopsis. Seems to grow in tufts not mats, but bas a feathery appearance so I'm unsure
20230609_133157.jpg

Looks like Bryopsis to me. @kharmaguru thoughts? If it is Bryopsis, it's not the end of the world like we used to think. It is easily treatable with fluconozale.

Yes it is just an unusual presentation I hadn't seen in my (limited) time reefing. The Mexican turbo is chowing down on it. It looks like dandelion seeds bound to the glass. We weren't sure a lettuce nudibranch would eat it. But I think if the turbo eats it we can rule out bryopsis, right?

Awesome thanks everyone! The LFS guy was mystified but I'm glad to be able to get help here at RC (although the forum is more dead than it was 10Y ago)

Not dead, just more focused. Have you thought about getting an RODI and making your own water? A good four-stage (I always liked Spectra Pure) can be invaluable toward controlling tank parameters. Also, is your tank subjected to daylight? Getting hit by the sun for several hours can really aid algae growth.

Last edited:
Not dead, just more focused. Have you thought about getting an RODI and making your own water? A good four-stage (I always liked Spectra Pure) can be invaluable toward controlling tank parameters. Also, is your tank subjected to daylight? Getting hit by the sun for several hours can really aid algae growth.
I currently buy RODI from my LFS for top-offs but I've been buying their saltwater. When I lived in a house I made my own SW. A different LFS is closing down so I am waiting like a vulture to buy his RODI unit. It should also be a 4-stage since they treat with chloramines locally. Not sure if I want to make salt in my apartment.

My tank is by a window but the blinds are closed always. When I had a tank near a sun room the one side of the tank near the sun room was extra dirty compared to the others. But this seems a more even coating of algae. So I would guess not a major factor.

I think it is just really needing a water change after I was out of town for 9 days. I was a bit concerned about bryopsis because I got my rock from KP and just threw it in the tank so my thought was some unusual hitchhiker that flourished in my absence... didn't want to waste time if I needed to bring out the big guns to fight bryopsis :)

When I first started reefing I was very gung-ho about testing but I have to admit I haven't tested my tank I've just been watching my ammonia badge and performing water changes weekly. Going out of town threw that off bit difficult to go "by feel" when I can't see in or have a measure of growth lol.

I don't have a lot of coral in there so I haven't been measuring the micronutrients. Figure a fresh batch of salt should be taking care of it for now. I almost bought a calcium hanna checker at the going-out-of-business sale but he said it wasn't very good.

Back