O.T. Grand Canyon

chucklez

Wife, 9yr old son and I are heading to Vegas for my daughters wedding on June 9. We get in Friday afternoon and with all other schedules, we have Saturday open to possibly go to the Grand Canyon. Just a day trip see the sights, maybe hike a trail below the rim then head back to Vegas by way of the Hoover Dam.

Anyone who has been out there, what would you recommend for the Canyon? I have heard the South Rim is best, but North Rim is alot fewer people. More than likely we will go South. I have been looking at trails and see the Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge highly regarded, yet I am afraid that it may be too dificult for my 9 yr old and an out of shape 40-something couple. Anyone have other suggestions?

Jill and I went a few weeks back and its costy (around 200 per person) but we took a helicopter ride over the canyon. Was absolutely breath taking. A birds eye view over a mile over the canyon floor cant beat. Theres also a ton of view points along the roads for you to stop at if you drive thru the park.

Its definitely something everyone should see!

Yeah, just driving around to all of the look outs and walking around there is very worth while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the Grand Canyon once on National Lampoon Family Vacation, I'm good:)

Seriously, have fun and don't fall in, or I'll claim all your SPS!

O.T. Grand Canyon

I took a Pink Jeep Tour. It went around a bit of the South Rim and we all had a good time. PinkJeepTours.com Brady Harris drove us around. I was driving 6800 miles in 15 days, I decided to just enjoy the ride for a bit :)

If you're going to hike, you should start super early so you can be done before it gets too hot. I'd love to spend a week or three there sometime.

We did the grand canyon in march. We took a couple days there. One of the days we spent there we hiked the south Kaibab trail down 3 miles and back. It was awesome but the hike back up is a ton of work. We stopped for about an hour at our turn around point and made lunch but it took us over 5 hours so make sure you have plenty of time and a ton of water if you hike below the rim. We each carried at least 64 ounces and we were all empty before we got back up and that was in march. There is plenty to see at the rim and will end up taking you a whole day just going around to the different look out points. There is a road that goes from the south visitor center to the desert view watchtower that is a pretty good day of views. Highly recommend heading to the watch tower for the view there.

There is a road that goes from the south visitor center to the desert view watchtower that is a pretty good day of views. Highly recommend heading to the watch tower for the view there.

That's the road the Pink Jeep took us on. It's hard to understand the scale of the Grand Canyon until you see it. Understand that I live on top of a mountain. Well, standing at the South Rim, you are at about 7,000 feet. The bottom of the Canyon is at about 2600 feet, or still about 1300 feet above my house. The scale borders on unbelievable and one could easily spend a month there just to scratch the surface of what it has to offer.

The place will be packed when you go, so make reservations for whatever you plan on doing ASAP.

Back