O/T: Romantic restaurant?

majestic sea life

Hey,

I'm in need of some help from locals of the Phoenix and surrounding area's. My friends and I have been saving up our money to take a trip down to Phoenix area for 2days and 3nights. We are staying in scottsdale. This wednesday, my buddy and I would like you treat out girlfriends's to a nice upscale and romantic dinner. We do not get very few chances in Tucson. So while we are in Phoenix would like to treat them to this dinner (they deserve it for being able to deal with us LoL) But their is one kicker. My Girlfriend Lisa is a vegetarian. Would any of you life to recommend a nice place to have dinner at? Thanks for your help.

~Brian

yea, melting pot is the best.
you can even get booths with curtains.
very romantic there. and alot of food!
and they have entrees with shellfish and fish for your gf too.

Sorry, I accidentally posted as Che.

It seems a shame to go to a chain restaurant when there are so many great non-chains in the Valley.

I love T. Cook's - great recommendation.

I was going to recommend Quiessence at the Farm at South Mountain, but I just noticed on their website that they are closed for the month of July. Bummer, it's a beautiful place.

Instead, I'll offer two other suggestions:

1) Elements at Sanctuary - http://www.sanctuaryoncamelback.com/content/elements.html
Beautiful setting at the Sanctuary Resort on Camelback Mountain, Asian-inspired menu.

2) Sassi - http://www.sassi.biz/
Excellent Italian restaurant in Scottsdale, gorgeous setting overlooking Pinnacle Peak.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13028576#post13028576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prototype
and they have entrees with shellfish and fish for your gf too.

Vegetarians don't eat meat. People who eat seafood are not vegetarians.

I like all of the places mentioned, except for maybe the melting pot since I haven't been there.

Of all of them, Elements is the best for a romantic spot. Hard to find at night but definitely a romantic place most people have never heard of.

T-Cook is great for Sunday brunch and not that expensive, relatively speaking of course.

If you like Italian try Lo Cascio's. It is a smaller restaurant that is not priced to high, but has some of the best Italian food in AZ. My wife loves this place and she is practically a vegetarian. It is off of Scottsdale and Mckelips. It has a quite atmosphere, and you get food you love to eat instead of fancy garnish on a plate. All the ingredients are bought from Italy and then shipped over to make the food from scratch. Johnny and Sher (SP?) are the owners and are great people.

http://www.locascioitalianrestaurant.com/

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13029727#post13029727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Che's DW
Vegetarians don't eat meat. People who eat seafood are not vegetarians.
Definitions get pretty fuzzy in this area. I work with several people from India who describe themselves as vegetarian and have no problem eating fish and shellfish.

One of my sisters, on the other hand, is a dedicated vegan. She does not consume any member of Kingdom Animalia or any of their byproducts if she can avoid it. She won't even eat honey.

Out at the extremes are the "it must fall naturally off the plant" people who won't eat things like broccoli that have to be cut loose, and freegans, who try to avoid the modern agricultural economy ("Are you going to finish that?" is a mantra for many freegans).

Romantic Restaurants:
I agree with The Melting Pot, if your girlfriend's variety of vegetarianism allows her to eat shellfish and/or cheese.

Pizza a Metro is another great Italian choice. The neighborhood is definitely not romantic, but the food is amazing, and it's not limited to pizza. It's hard to get more cozy than a restaurant with only six tables.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13041419#post13041419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KarlBob
Definitions get pretty fuzzy in this area. I work with several people from India who describe themselves as vegetarian and have no problem eating fish and shellfish.

Actually the definition is pretty clear and precise; it is the practice that is a little fuzzy.

veg·e·tar·i·an:â€"œnoun 1. a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.
â€"œadjective 2. of or pertaining to vegetarianism or vegetarians.
3. devoted to or advocating this practice.
4. consisting solely of vegetables: vegetarian vegetable soup.

Now picky is a different story. I know, I know... I'm an a__hole, but I like it that way.

After some research, I acknowledge the point. The definition in every source I can find starts with total non-consumption of animalia, then adds variant terms to cover in-between forms (like lacto-ovo-vegetarianism).

It turns out that the term for people who eat basically everything but warm-blooded critters (birds and mammals) is pescetarians. The word derives from fish, but it also covers crustacea, arthropods, cnidaria, reptiles, amphibians, etc.

Interestingly enough, the multiple kingdoms of modern biology do not seem to have had much effect on vegetarian thinking. I haven't found anyone who differentiates between plants and fungus in their dietary restrictions, or between algae and protoctista. When it's time to eat, we seem to fall back to the Animal/Vegetable/Mineral level of classification.

Of course, to quote Binkley from Bloom County, "we're massacring millions of germs by breathing."

The Tortilla Factory just west of downtown's art walk in Scottsdale is terrific. Great evening atmosphere, UNREAL margaritas and they should have some vegi stuff available. The price is going to be very fair for the food and atmosphere. Sit outside, by the large lit up fountain and you'll have happy ladies for sure!

Back