o2manyfish --- New Flying Fish Tank

o2manyfish

o2manyfish
When you and your friends have gotten too old to move a tank, you take the shortest route to get the tank into the back yard.

Dave B

2022-08-03 12.48.44.jpg

Your cost of delivery probably exceeds most people's entire systems. Lol. Looking forward to seeing the build progress!

Your cost of delivery probably exceeds most people's entire systems. Lol. Looking forward to seeing the build progress!
It's funny the delivery fees didn't cross my mind. Yes the freight was a good sized bill.

But when the plumbing just to connect tank to sump - With only one valve was almost 4 figures, that's what struck me how big the system is. That and I took the time to calculate that the volume of water in my overflow pipe is over 26gallons - And that's more than some people's entire system.

I have so many questions :) To start, who built the tank?

She's a beauty
Ask away....

The tank was built by Titan Aquatic Exhibits in Az --- And it's awesome. Couldn't be happier, unless it weighed 1/4 as much as it does. But other than the weight it's beautiful.

Dave

Fitting name! What's the purpose of the footing being recessed from the top supports? It really looks like an intentional design decision, but I can't understand it!! :) Is it so the viewer never kicks your stand covers? lol

Fitting name! What's the purpose of the footing being recessed from the top supports? It really looks like an intentional design decision, but I can't understand it!! :) Is it so the viewer never kicks your stand covers? lol

This tank is big. I didn't want it to look like a wall of tank in the room. So I had the tank designed and built to be cantilevered. This way the room feels more open and the tank is less of a wall.

When I posted photos of the stand online I had people from all over the world messaging me that it was a failure about to happen. But the engineering is sound, and the stand is massively overbuilt. Of course I'm all talk till it's full of water...

Dave B

This tank is big. I didn't want it to look like a wall of tank in the room. So I had the tank designed and built to be cantilevered. This way the room feels more open and the tank is less of a wall.

When I posted photos of the stand online I had people from all over the world messaging me that it was a failure about to happen. But the engineering is sound, and the stand is massively overbuilt. Of course I'm all talk till it's full of water...

Dave B
No way. Looks solid as a rock to me. Thanks for expaining!

Trust the engineers. Doesn't look at all risky to me. I have a 6' hottub fully cantilevered over a retaining wall on a deck designed by an engineer. It's rock solid. You've got a few inches cantilevered on 4" steel tubes. Measure the deflection once you get the water in, I'll bet its less that 1/32"

Did you add water yet?
Not yet. The heat is killing me on getting the plumbing outside done. And I am waiting for my helper to help me load the rock into the tank to mount on the back wall. I'm hoping this week but I'm not betting any money on it.

Dave B

Will this still have the water drop from 5 stories above your house? :D
Not initially. I still have all the parts for the 2nd story surge tank. And it might be something I add in the future. Right now I just need to get the plumbing and aquascaping done so I can fill it. Plus I wouldn't dare consider working on the outdoor surge tank in this heat... The heat is a killer.

Dave B

Back