ocean runner pumps anyone?

danskim

Does anyone have an ocean runner pump or have any experience with them?
I am looking to get a model 3500 and wondering what people thought of them.
They look very similar to eheim pumps.

I use a 3500 to feed a Turboflotor 5000 compact which uses a modified 3500 for it's air injection. I also use a 6500 for a return pump and I plan to run MRC's FMC 627 reactor with Rowaphos with another 3500. Needless to say they are not pressure rated but for my purposes, 180 gallons and a 60 gallon'ish sump they work great, don't use a lot of juice and don't add heat to the tank.

There you go...

The reviews here on RC are mostly good, but people on other forums have replied saying they are having problems.
Any other people will input about long term use and about noise + heat?

I guess it would be helpful if I provided the pumps I am comparing them too.

I am planning a closed loop and a sump for my 30g tank, so I will need two pumps. I am planning on running 600-800gph through the closed loop and ~300-350gph through the sump.

For these 2 pumps, I am looking at four brands: 2 low end, 2 high end brands

Quiet Ones and Ocean Runners
Pan Worlds and Eheims

So mostly I am asking how the ocean runner compares to the higher end pumps.

I use a Ocean Runner 3500 for my return and it works very well. Less heat then the Mag and about equal to the Quiet One 4000 that runs my closed loop. I also use the OR 2700 on my Turboflotor and like it as well. I have never had a problem with them restarting or being noisy at all.

I've used the OR pumps on a few different applications. They draw low watts, that is good, always restarted after unplugging ( which I can't say about the Mag pumps )but the pump was noticably warm when I grabbed it to rearrange something. All the Mag pumps I have owned - Mag 5's and 7's had restart problems - even brand new ones. My buddy owned a few of the Quiet One pumps and he had problems with them and switched to a different brand. heard nothing but great things about Eheim but haven't owned one.

The Quiet One 4000 has been running over two years now and has been cleaned in vinegar a total of 5 times. It has been very quiet and the only time it failed to restart I just pulled it out and cleaned it (it had been 6 months) and it started up fine. I have already had to replace the impeller on my Mag on my calcium reactor and its only 6 months old. It also seems to be louder and it runs warmer.

Back