Oceanic 215 with Solaris Build

Thanks Chris and Grey. Only thing I'm running are a Dart and two Vortex. If you look back at the video, the flow is crazy. I do have the Pacific Coast Flow Accelerators, 3/4" on two of the returns...they are fantastic. They also just came out with 1/2" and 1". If you're looking into increasing the velocity of your flow...I'd check into those. I have to remember to bring my camera home from work....it's sitting right there and yet I walk out without it ever day...sheesh.

This is a phenomenal setup and a real inspiration. Thanks for sharing this amazing aquarium. You've given me a lot of guidance in my 220 build. :)

Here's a pic of a couple acros in the tank. Polyp extension is incredible and so is the growth. Note the encrustation on the rock behind the yellow acro and the color developing on the turquoise acro on top right. The left acro is actually yellow and the growth tips are coloring up teal as well. Just can't get my white balance adjusted to show the true colors.

acro.gif

Hi Nemo

Your setup is awesome!

Just got my Solaris and so far I think they are great, your post really help me decide on them! I have a question and since you have had yours for a while I thought I would ask you.

Do you use the Auto Solar mode? I have it on now but the lunar cycle is strange to me, maybe because I am not use to having my lights work that way. (14 day lunar cycle)

In auto Solar mode should I leave the Lunar LEDs set to default as the cycle handles the level or can I turn them up at night so I can see the tank better. They were at 10% but I turned them to 100% - I may need to go back to the default setting.

Do you know if I make the sunset setting for a longer duration say 1 or 2 hours - would it effect the lunar time cycle? I thought if I increased the duration of the sunset I would have the brighter lights on longer. I want my brighter lights to still be on for display till about 10 or 11 pm - should I just use the time offset and increase the sunset.

Thanks!!

I would use the offset to adjust the lighting cycle. The lunar cycle is 28 days, 14 up and 14 down.

I wouldn't recommend setting the lunar blues to 100% all night, the concept is it's night and I think that 100% is too much light. I would also recommend giving PFO a call. They were extremely helpful in answering all of my questions when I first got my light.

FYI, there is a bug in the software. If you increase the cloud cover to 9 your light will go through the sunset program but it will get stuck and not go through the moon rise. You can choose any number up to 8 just not 9.

I also recommend turning on the debug option. The display will then show you the state the light is in and also what day in the lunar cycle it's on.

Paul

Hi all and thanks! I've been nursing my tank back after two problems. The first was the insane blenny that was tearing up my corals. We finally caught him with a number 10 fish hook after weeks of trying. He's happily living in my refugium these days and won't be going back in the tank! The second was an overfeeding problem with a tank sitter. We were way up in the Catskills at our son's wedding and couldn't be contacted by cell phone, so my tank sitter, who I had left carefully sectioned food for, decided the fish still looked hungry each time he fed, so continued to feed until "they looked full." Sheesh, so anyway, in 6 days he fed over a half of a bag of Rod's Food and about a quarter of a package of mysis plus I'm not sure how many cubes of Formula 2. Needless to say, after 6 weekly water changes of about 70 gallons each and then a treatment of Slime Away followed by about a 120 gallon water change, plus a new skimmer (Octopus Pro 300), the tank is finally free of all the cyano that occured. The corals that survived the blenny are doing amazing under these lights (I have them on 100% blue and white now) and I'm ready to add more now that all the problems are solved. Will try to get some new pics up soon. Thanks for the interest. Marcye

I know how you feel...I just went through it when I was away on a business trip and came back to exploding PO4 and took me over a month to get the parameters right again :)

You guys make me real nervous! I'm heading out on a 2 week trip. Last trip my skimmer overflowed, on the 2nd night of my trip, into my power center completely turning my tank off. This was at 11pm. I had to have my dad come over and shop vac out and blow dry all my power connections on my RK2 controller as well as my DJ100 power bank. After about an hour he was able to get it all back up and running. I'm thinking of leaving my skimmer off for 2 weeks? I also section my food for my sitter. So far she has never overfed (fingers crossed). I'll have to add a note to my instructions not to feed any more than what is sectioned off.

thanks CaReefGuy

I used the time offset at -180 that seems to work - keeps the sunlights on till around 10 or 11pm. It also looks like the SOLARIS takes care of the light level for the lunar blues if you use the SOLAR AUTO mode. Now I just have to sell my old lights!

Back