Oceanic 215 with Solaris Build

Hi Marcye:

Just curious about your experience with the Lunar cycle on the I4. Where are your lunar blues and whites set and have you seen them cycle up and down?

Thanks,

Matthew

how'd you get your I4 72" in so fast. i am using a 48" (borrowed from the LFS) but i ordered a 72" that wont be coming in until june. they said production wont start on the 72" fixture until then? ahhh... whatever. nice tank. i like the flame wrasses.

EDIT: just saw above post. lunar cycle actually goes by almanac moon cycles. on a new moon, it is very dim, full moon very bright :)

Marcye -- Just wanted to say your tank is beautiful. I caught your thread thanks to another member mentioning your thread when a Solaris question came up.

I, just like you, am going with the Oceanic 215g Ultimate (been a Oceanic fan since starting in this hobby) and the Solaris. The lighting has been the hardest decision for me but thanks to your thread (and my lfs) I am going to give it a try.

My build just got pushed back a little but I am planning on at least starting construction on the stand in about 3 weeks. Tank and stand may just have to hang out in the garage for a little while.....

Probably will pop you a question or two when i get closer to the build.....

Great build Marcye!!!

Thanks! I think you'll love the lights. I'm getting both great growth and color. Sorry I haven't posted more recently, but I've been involved in a large project...650 gallon install. Plus, I had a rogue starry blenny who decided he liked eating my acros and killing my fairy wrasses. Finally caught him with a #10 hook and he's now living happily in my refugium until I figure out what to do with him...sheesh! Thanks for the kind words and please don't hesitate to yell if I can be of any help. Also, keep in touch about the tank and your progress. I'd love to hear how you make out! Marcye

Hey Marcye,

Good seeing you today. The BEK and the clam have settled in well. My flame was chasing the BEK a bit at the start, but they're buds now, follow each other around.

How'd those Aussies open up for you? Even closed they looked great.

Marcye has some dynamite inventory in stock as usual, just wish I'd had more time and money. :rolleyes:

It is a shame that I did not know of this thread, or Marcye and her store when I was down in Orlando back in February... I would have loved to stop in and meet...

The progress is great on your tank, and I am now sold on the Solaris system... next opportunity I will upgrade my lighting (now using MH and T5 systems...)

Thanks Marcye! I know come build time I will probably have a ton of questions....My only problem right now is landing the house we want. We had a buyer slide in in the last minute on the townhouse we were contracting and gave a better offer. Hence, the delay in my build.

I do have two quick ones for you.......what ballasts come with the Solaris? (one or two of them?) and also, these lights all have build in timers,right?

Sorry to hear about the blenny....thats actually why my lfs got my flametail back. Mine wiped out two clams and stag......and this was only in a matter of days!!! I originally thought it was my Potters Angel but I caught the flametail in action taking a big old chuck out of my clam. I have a had a lot better luck with my Midas.

I come down to Orlando a couple times a year to visit friends so I might swing by and check out your shop!!

oh no Marcye, sorry to hear about the blenny. did it do alot of damage before catching? Flame wrasses still ok? Tank is looking great!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12592449#post12592449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreyDC
I do have two quick ones for you.......what ballasts come with the Solaris? (one or two of them?) and also, these lights all have build in timers,right?

GreyDC - answer on your Q1. Will depend on the length of your fixture...mine is a 71.5" fixture so it comes with 3 ballasts

Length Width Height LED Wattage Power Supply Fans
14” 8.7” 3.65” 100W 1 4
24” 8.7” 3.65” 200W 1 4
36” 8.7” 3.65” 300W 2 4
46.5” 8.7” 3.65” 400W 2 4
59.5” 8.7” 3.65” 500W 3 4
71.5” 8.7” 3.65” 600W 3 4

Q2 - YES it comes with a build-in timer. You have 3 choices of operating:

Option 1 - Manual Mode
Option 2 - Auto Setting where it's pre program for sunrise, daylight/cloud covers/ Sunset/night with moonlight set for 28 Day Moon Cycle
Option 3 - Self timer Build-in where you simply indicate what times it comes on/off, just like any other timer but this feature will not give you all the other funky setting, i.e. sunrise, daylight/cloud covers/ Sunset/night with moonlight set for 28 Day Moon Cycle

Hope you find it helpful and Welcome to the Solaris Club :D

Thank you so much Ed Reef!!! Loved your build thread too by the way......

I will be going with the 71.5" so thanks for the info. Just needed to know how many shelves to build in the stand.

Marcye -- In your canopy build, I know the Solaris comes with 4 fans.......How many fans did you put in your canopy? Do you have them drawing in air or out? My plan was to have 2 on the sides as intakes and then put one in the top middle drawing out the air......I am planning on doing a pendulum hang in the canopy.

your tank looks unbelievable. someone near me is selling one the same size that was only used for 3 months with all his accessories for the tank. im really tempted to buy it. i have the i4 on my 120gal. i used to keep all whites and blues at 100% and didnt think it was burning and bleaching my sps, well it was, i have the whites at 25% and blues at 100% hopefully this will solve the problem, i lost many sps and sps frags not thinking the i4's were going to be strong enough. your tank looks great. what are the lunar settings you use, and the cloud cover settings? just curious. i keep my blues at 5% at night. and max the cloud covers with 10min. each.

Me No Nemo,
I'm considering the Solaris I series, my questions is our new tank will 96x36x24, I will have to buy (2) 48" to make it work right? and will the spectrum be wide enough for a 36" tank?

Thanks for all the compliments! Well, since the blenny is finally out the tank is recovering nicely.

Jade, luckily my Hawaiian Flame wrasse pair didn't put up with the blennies crap, so they came through fine. I did have to move the roseafascia wrasse, for all the warnings of aggression, he's a big baby and I had to move him to the refugium until I got the blenny out. He's doing very at this point and has moved back into the big tank. All the fish are doing very well at this point...thanks for asking!

Grey, we have a different setup with our canopy. We left it open on top...the front of the stand/canopy is actually a facade since it goes wall to wall, so we didn't need any fans.

The params of the tank are staying pretty consistent.
Cal: 460
Alk: 9
Magnesium: 1500
Temp: runs between 79 and the highest I've seen it is 81.

We are slowly moving the white light up. The blue is at 100% and the white is now up to about 58%. The colors are really starting to pop. We changed out the pump on the EV 240 to a bigger pump for more aggressive skimming and added a Ozotech Ozone unit.

I started to take some pics yesterday and got three off before the camera's battery died..figures. The charger is at work. So, although they aren't very good, I'll post them up so you can get an idea of where we are right now. I'll get some more once I get the camera charged back up.

Red Koko Worm...in tank since November and doing well

100_2685.jpg

Thanks to Chris for gifting me another gorgeous Saramentosa to replace the one the blenny did away with. Browned out a bit when I put it in, but the color is sneaking back. Great polyp extension though!!!!:

100_2687.jpg

Finally, tank shot of the right side and most of the family fish. The Bellus angels are doing magnificent as are all the rest.

100_2686.jpg

I appreciate everyone's compliments and will update with better pics again soon! Thanks, Marcye

What kind of wood did you use for your stand? I really
like the smoothness of the wood. Im getting ready to build
a simular stand to house a 5ft foot print tank with 1ft on each side of the tank for shelving and knic nacks

Hi Deceptive..the stand is made from furniture grade maple. We wanted a softer look rather than the grainy look of oak:)

Thanks Marcye!! Tank is looking good!! Any full tank shots?

Questions for you - What return pump are you running with the four return lines? I know you are runnning your skim on a Pan....didnt know if you were also running a Pan on the return.....

Back