Oceanic 215 with Solaris Build

Hi Marine Girl, wow I guess it has been a while since I posted on here! The tank is doing very well. I eventually changed from the Solaris light to a 10 bulb ATI Power Module after the company that manufactured the Solaris went out of business. I'm very happy with the new lighting. Here are some current pictures of the tank. Sorry about the quality, I just can't seem to get my camera to take better pictures since the room is so dark and the tank so bright. In person the tank's colors are much brighter! I just have to lighten the pictures so much that it mutes the colors.

Marcyes-6.jpg

Marcyes-Tank-2.jpg

Marcyes-Tank-Right.jpg

Marcye-5.jpg

Last edited:
Also, here's a video I shot last night of my anemone spawning. It made a huge mess of the tank...very milky. I ran lots of carbon during the event (I can emphasize how important it is to have carbon on hand for situations like this) and also ran my skimmer a bit wetter than usual to help clean it up as fast as I could. By this morning, everything looks fine and the anemone is back to its usual self. Not completely sure why it spawned, but I think it has something to do with the fact that I changed the bulbs out this past week. This is the fifth time it's spawned since I've had it (over 10 years now) and each time it happens, I believe there was a change in the lighting for one reason or another.

Last edited:
I always loved this tank. I had no idea that company that carried the Solaris went out of business. That is kind of scary. How do you like the T-5s? Do you have a FTS? Did you change anything in the tank at all besides the bulbs? Why did you choose T5's over MH? Do you still prefer the DSB? More pictures please! ;-) I love the video of your anemone spawning. I need to get some carbon and have it on hand.

I was wondering if you could possibly give me some advice. I have a chance to get a brand new setup with tank and stand for around 1100. Just wondering if it is a good deal and how that center brace affects the ability to clean your tank, aquascape, etc?

Me No Nemo - I was wondering if there was a reason other than them going out of business that you stopped using the Solaris fixture?

Andrew

I had "good" everything with the Solaris fixture. Virtually no heat, low electric bill, "good" color, great growth. But, with the T-5's I feel I have "great" color and growth. My reason for going with the LED's to begin with was that I didn't want to use a chiller and I still don't have to with the T-5's. When I purchased the Solaris, it was a great alternative to MH lighting for the above reasons. I really did like the light, but if I had the option of LED vs. T-5 today, I'd go with the T-5 fixture for sure. I think you can do more with mixing the bulb colors and placements to really bring out all the colors in a tank and if properly vented with fans, a chiller should'nt be needed.

I see. I understand. Does that center brace bother you at all? Does it get in the way of aquascaping, cleaning, etc? Any downside to it?

I always loved this tank. I had no idea that company that carried the Solaris went out of business. That is kind of scary. How do you like the T-5s? Do you have a FTS? Did you change anything in the tank at all besides the bulbs? Why did you choose T5's over MH? Do you still prefer the DSB? More pictures please! ;-) I love the video of your anemone spawning. I need to get some carbon and have it on hand.

I was wondering if you could possibly give me some advice. I have a chance to get a brand new setup with tank and stand for around 1100. Just wondering if it is a good deal and how that center brace affects the ability to clean your tank, aquascape, etc?

Thanks so much! That price on a brand new Oceanic setup sounds like a good price, depending on the quality of the stand.

I think you'll be very happy with the Oceanic 215 if it's the Ultimate. I have no problems with the brace. My urchin is often upside down on it...actually looks pretty amazing as it looks like he's suspended upside down in mid air.

I'm running a Dart pump and I think it's the perfect pump for that size tank. I only have two Vortec powerheads and the tank looks clean and clutter free.

I love the T-5's. I'd definitely advise anyone who is looking at T-5's as a lighting source to do careful research into the different brands and types. I've had the best luck with ATI brand and also the Tek fixtures. The new Tek Elites are really nice. Also, make sure you have good air flow around the bulbs to keep them cool. I feel I have a great mix of bulbs in my fixture and it really brings out the pinks and oranges as well as the purples and blues, with only 3 "white" bulbs and the others a combo of blues and purples.

Carbon is a must, IMO, to always have on hand as there are so many crazy events that can happen in a tank, and the quick placement of carbon in many instances can save an otherwise doomed tank!

I don't have a good full tank shot. Here's the problem, I think. When we redid the room and removed all the windows, the room itself became pretty dark. It shows off the tank very well this way, but I think when I stand back and try to do a FTS, the camera is adjusting the darker area I'm standing in and the pictures look really bad. I'll try again soon now that the sun is coming in from a different direction and perhaps I'll get better light in the back of the room. Again, thanks for the nice comments. Marcye

Also, thanks for the thumbs up on the anemone video. Last night my husband saw one of our fairy wrasses really flashing and displaying like crazy! He was looking magnificent and I'd never seen him flash so brightly or for so long before. He was darting all over the tank totally flared up. We went over to the tank to watch the display and noticed the anemone filling up and closing and we both started counting and identifying fish as our first thought was "Ut, oh...who'd he eat?" But, after everyone was accounted for we watched a while longer and started to see the milky white threads coming out and realized what was going on. By the time 6 hours had gone by, even with the carbon in the sump, the tank was so milky and hazy you could barely see in. Then this morning the corals look amazing, the anemone is completely back to normal and the tank is clean again. I did pull the carbon and put a new bag in and I'm sure the bag of Chemi Pure Elite I had in there is probably in need of a change as well after that big of a spawn. Nature is amazing!

The tank is doing very well. I just did a tradeout of some really large corals and plugged in some new frags. Still have my genicanthus angels and they are doing amazing. Maroon clown pair still hanging out in the same green carpet. I'm thinking of switching out my lighting but haven't decided yet. I've switched from mostly SPS to losts of wellsos and chalices so the 10 bulb ATI is a lot of light! Haven't changed too much on the food line...still feeding Piscene Mysis and Formula 2, but do LOVE the new Phycopure and see a lot of response from my corals since I've started using that and still using the Microvore diet. I have a new rainbow/yellow hammer that is just stunning. If I can ever get a picture that truly shows the colors I'll post it. Wow. I've got a new alveopora, green with pink centers that I'm really in love with and my "shaggy" neon green/yellow goni is growing like a weed. Besides that not too much to report on. I had a mini crash last year while we were on vacation (why does that always seem to happen?) but we've recovered nicely from that. Thanks for keeping up with the tank :)

My buddy Spot (I've had him about 3 years)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/menonemo/Splotchy-Anthias.gif

Bela

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/menonemo/Cleanup-station-one.gif

Last edited:
Back