Oddities

Feclar

Premium Member
Hi,
Aquapod 12g tank has been up about 3 weeks now, has had snails/crabs and a damsel for 1-2 weeks

I did a 5g water change Sunday and comletley re-aquascaped the live rock, did not take readings at that time.

I used 1 box of Petco Saltwater

After the reorg I found some of my turbosnails upside down with sand in there shell, so I turned them around, now I think they are dead because they have not moved in 2 days. I can still see their meat if I look in the shell

I just reorganized the rocks again today and moved the turbo snails and a thin white gooey film fell out of them, I just checked my parameters and they look bad the hermits / emerald crabs and other snails seem to be ok and the urchin is moving around...

Nitrite 0.25
Amonia 0.25
PH 7.8

Before the water change my amonia+nitrite were 0 and PH 8.2

Are the snails dead?
Did reorganizing the rock and rustling the sand kill them? Did that screw my numbers?

Should I get a different testing kit?
Usuing API Saltwater Master Test Kit

p.s.s
When I did the water change I noticed I had the carbon on top of my bioballs rather than on top of my cermaic, so I changed that Sunday as well.
14336.jpg

bertoni

Premium Member
Well, I'd remove the dead animals, since they're contributing to the problem. Taking live rock out of the water can cause die-off, so that might have been the base cause. I'd do a series of 2-3g water changes.

The API test kits are usually okay, but getting a second opinion might be useful.