Offer a suggestion

giants4pc

I'm considering changing my lighting. I have a 156 gallon 60" long mixed reef. It's a mix of everything, however, the SPS aren't really too delicate...some pocillipora, digi....the basics. Zoos, lps....

For years, I have used 250 watt Radiums under lumenbrights supplemented by 2 60" VHO actinic. Needless to say, it juices some electricity and produces some major heat.

I know LED's are the new wave these days and the upfront cost will, in time, balance out the monthly electric bill.

What do you guys recommend for lighting? I can't believe the price on these LED's. And I really don't know anything about them because I've only worked with the lower budget marineland ones. Again, the tank is 60" long. Ideally, I would prefer not to lose the sps I have in the transition, but that happens. I'm just looking for adequate coverage with a nice shimmer. Thoughts?

Personally I would check out Reefbreeders Photon 2s and keep the VHO's or supplement with T5's. The hybrid approach seems to meet all the high points for lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm considering changing my lighting. I have a 156 gallon 60" long mixed reef. It's a mix of everything, however, the SPS aren't really too delicate...some pocillipora, digi....the basics. Zoos, lps....

For years, I have used 250 watt Radiums under lumenbrights supplemented by 2 60" VHO actinic. Needless to say, it juices some electricity and produces some major heat.

I know LED's are the new wave these days and the upfront cost will, in time, balance out the monthly electric bill.

What do you guys recommend for lighting? I can't believe the price on these LED's. And I really don't know anything about them because I've only worked with the lower budget marineland ones. Again, the tank is 60" long. Ideally, I would prefer not to lose the sps I have in the transition, but that happens. I'm just looking for adequate coverage with a nice shimmer. Thoughts?

I have black boxes on mine, their a cost effective approach ;) but you have to research and read reviews. I have also built my own from rapid led (website) they make some easy kits and you can customize exactly what you want in every possible way you can get as shimmery as you want ;) . In this approach you really need to know what light spectrum you want/need as you can pick each individual light. I just mention these unconventional approaches since you mentioned the high cost. I keep mostly lps btw.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Back