Official 2017 LEAR Trip

If you are a paid member of The Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society we would like to invite you to come along with us to the Lake Erie Advanced Reefers Frag Swap. More info can be found on their website at http://www.learclub.com/ The club will pay for your entrance into the swap if you are there when the event opens and the rest of us go inside. We will carpool to this event. Those who drive with at least 4 members in their vehicle will have their gas and tolls paid for as well. We will be spending the entire time at the swap and staying for the raffle. If you would like to only go up for part of the day and can arrange carpooling with other members who only want to stay for part of the day we will also provide the gas and toll money as long as there are at least 4 of you. If you want to come up at some point by yourself or others then you are simply on your own.

We are meeting for breakfast at 7:00am at Perkins Restaurant located at 20013 Route 19, Cranberry Township, PA 16066. We plan to leave Perkins at 8:00am to head to the swap. If you would like to skip breakfast you can meet us there no later than 8:00am.

If you are not familiar with the LEAR Frag Swap it is one of the largest events in our general area. Last year there were over 800 people in attendance. My suggestion is to be there early as you can only imagine that the best deals go very fast and there will be several hundred people in line before they open the doors. You can register with www.reeftrader.com to reserve frags and equipment from other hobbyists that you will then pick up and pay for the day of the swap.

We will need a finalized head count no later than the end of next Saturdays club meeting, before then is preferred. You can e-mail me at jamie.adams@pmasi.org, call/text 412-657-7586, or send me or Acer a message on the forums.

Posted elsewhere also.

Put me in as an all day driver! I will probably jump over to a few shops during the mid day, but plan on arriving with the club and leaving when the swap closes.

Kevin

I hope everyone had a great time yesterday - Sorry I had to go early - my son wasn't feeling well, and frankly I did not want to expose everyone at the swap to his illness. Greg showed up a while after we were home and said we had a few winners at the raffle= YEAH!! So, we ran over to Aquatek - I got 20 hermits to try and help my hair algae issues. Junky (unorganized) store- but they had a lot of stuff and a lot of livestock. IF I could figure out why all the fish I try to Quarantine die - I would have picked up a very healthy looking (eating frozen mysis) powder blue tang for $60. But - since i had no notion of why my QT is a death trap - I passed. Anybody have any other ideas for a road trip for the club or a special event ??

What did everybody get yesterday?

I got :

1) Fire digi

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums...02/IMG_20170226_161308952_HDR_zpsskhaq1ui.jpg

2) Tyree ultamate stag

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums...02/IMG_20170226_161148172_HDR_zpsjsanhome.jpg

3) Birdnest bird of paradise( pic is unknown acra infront of the Bird of paradise)

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums...02/IMG_20170226_161330960_HDR_zpsttnrtttr.jpg

4) Hawaiian pink pocillapora

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums...017-02/IMG_20170226_161039506_zps76te2puc.jpg
5) Rainbow red Millipora
6) Unknown Acro
7) Bonsai - from Greg - thanks.

Drilled new holes in my rock to accommodate for new frags.

Last edited:
The frag swap was fun. Here's the list of things I ended up with:

- ORA PearlBerry
- Reef Raft Asia Serendipity
- Red Dragon
- Tyree Blue Matrix
- PC Rainbow
- Greg Hiller Aqua Delight
- Sanjay's Leprechauns beard (Greg's frag)
- Yellow Tenuis (unknown acro)
- JF Fox Flame
- Yellow Candle (Mythic Reef claims this is the name of the acro. Never heard about the acro or the vendor for that matter)

A couple of frags still look pretty rough. I'll see how many will make it through the week.

As for future events, since I've never been to the zoo/aquarium tour, I'd like to do it sometime this summer.

As for future events, since I've never been to the zoo/aquarium tour, I'd like to do it sometime this summer.

It won't be in the summer. We are at the mercy of when they will allow us to come do it. Gary Spangler is a diver there and the person who is supposed to be arranging it through their red tape.

I really wanted to make this one, but got back from my trip from the Philippines Friday night and there was an issue with my tank while I was gone. I think the power went out for an extended period of time. All fish except my Christmas wrasse are accounted for (hoping the wrasse is buried in the sand he has stayed buried for extended length in the past). Some of my SPS corals look pretty pale and a couple are almost bleached, but they have decent PE, so I am hoping for the best. I have been feeding a little extra reef roids and reef chilly hoping this can make up for lost food not being produced.
there is a couple of spots where algae is growing on a couple of corals though, but i expect a little loss, just hoping not to lose everything.

Would have loved to get a frag of the ORA pearl berry, been wanting a frag for awhile.

Yep, wanted to pull the trigger on Pearl berry, but almost all my frags were about $10 as my tank is not stable enough for better corals.

Back